MBPR LG vs Samsung

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maplingstorie, Oct 1, 2012.

1. maplingstorie macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I was wondering whether the LG or Samsung has better color reproduction and gamut aside from the faulty issues. I've heard Samsung is brighter but LG produces better contrast? :confused:

2. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

Honestly I have no idea. I have seen issues with both manufacturers here on the forums. I have the LG panel and my display is flawless. Its absolutely the best display I have ever used. Its that good! :)

3. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I'm using a non-retina Macbook Pro, but I've read over the screen issue threads with interest. What I wonder is if there's really a difference, or if people are just psyching themselves out. Sort of like the way some audiophiles will swear that certain cables or compression formats make a huge difference, yet when they're put to a blinded test, they can't tell the difference...

4. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm happy to hear that. I don't mean to sound fussy however, I paid such a premium price for this mbpr, i would want the best display equipped. I have the LG screen so far no IR but I heard the IR will come in months (just got my mbpr today). And also, if the Samsung does produce better image quality then I'll take my chances in exchanging till I get the Samsung. I don't mean to make it sound as if LG sucks so bad, I just want the best I can get :). I worked and saved really hard for this haha.

----------

I agree. hopefully someone out there will clarify if these screens are both different in terms of almost every aspect :eek:

5. joshhedge macrumors regular

I have an LG screen and honestly, it's beautiful. I have slight IR on a grey background but I don't use grey backgrounds so I couldn't care less. No dead pixels, great colour, viewing angles - Be happy with what you've got.

6. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

I have had my rMBP since July and have had no issues with image retention, dead pixels or light bleeding. I have even checked for all of the above numerous times. The thing is with these forums the majority of people who do have issues will post about them seeking advice or merely to complain. There are going to be much less people in comparison saying they don't have issues.

The other problem too is if you read too much into it you become paranoid with your purchase and sometimes to the point of thinking there is something wrong when really there isn't. My only complaint about the retina macbook pro was the battery life initially. However with the 10.8.2 update I can say mine has improved quite a bit now.

7. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Both displays are 99% sRGB. The Samsung tends to appear a cooler color temperature, while the LG tends to be warmer. Most tests I've seen indicate the LGs run just around 6500K (which is considered ideal in many color critical applications), so the Samsungs are technically inferior there (though most consumers are used to overly cool displays, and such that looks "better" to many).

Pixel density is the same, so text quality and whatnot will look the same between the two.

8. nanolife macrumors 6502

nanolife

After calibrating the colours of my rMBP Samsung display and comparing to my brother's rMBP LG display and also with a friend's LG panel, I must say doesn't matter how "deep/warm/cold/whatever" the LG colours are, it can be reproduced just fine if you calibrate your screen properly.

9. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

I really hope so. BTW i've heard the samsungs are warmer? more yellowish.

10. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

If we talk faulty screens out of the equation than you pretty much answered your own question.

LG does produce better contrast and the Samsung is brighter.

However, the LG screens have been more prone to IR. Yes I am aware that there are few out there that do not have the issue but when it comes down to it the majority of LG users have been facing the issue.

I myself have gone through 4 LG screens and they've all had the problem.

So while it is possible to get an LG screen with the issue it is unlikely when compared to Samsung screens.

I have a Samsung screen and I have a friend with a Samsung and they were unable to produce the issue that the 4 LG screens had.

So until they sort it out atm I would just get a working screen first before worrying about color and such.

EDIT: That is not to say that Samsung screens do not have problems themselves! Despite having a lower chance of IR they have had problems with dead pixels, backlight bleeding, and uneven lighting.

11. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

sigh. it's a shame two displays are actually different in terms of everything. I have the LG now. Some say the Samsung is brighter, crispier and more vibrant. Isn't it the same for your case? Or you actually the prefer the LG. I had a macbook air before with the LG. I put it side by side with the air that has the Samsung screen and my god, the difference was huge. Screen was brighter, crispier and much much more vibrant than the LG. The LG was so washout. I have not seen the Samsung screen for the Retina but from the experience I had with the air, I am convinced the Samsung will be better regardless. :D

12. SchuettS macrumors 6502

Same here, very very slight IR on dark grey.. No other issues

13. alyshehata macrumors member

I had both LGs and Samsungs so far. I stuck with the samsung replacement.
    Here's what I noticed:

Samsung:
    - No IR issues.
    - Much better viewing angles ( I know this because I always watch movies with friends, and when I got the replacement LG after I had a samsung, all my friends complained.)
    - The screen looks "shinier". Not sure if that makes sense.

LG:
    - Has a little bit of better colors. (The blacks seemed more black, and the reds seemed more red.) On the samsung it's a LITTLE bit duller. And I say little because it's hardly noticeable, and when you change the color calibration is becomes just as good.

- Most of the time has IR issues.

14. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

ahh.. thanks for pointing out what I needed to see! I didn't like the LG. The blacks are tooo deep especially when I watch movies, I have to turn the brightness max and it's still not enough to actually see all the colours. I really hope and wish that my next replacement is a Samsung. btw, are the fonts on the Samsung crispier? or they're both the same? the LG on mine was abit blurry :eek:

15. JGO macrumors member

I just received my rMBP today and it has an LG screen. I did notice one instance of IR. There was a stage where a window was over the linen screen for a while (15 minutes?). After the window disappeared I could see faint IR where the window was. I really had to look for it. That was the only time I noticed it. Otherwise it is a beautiful screen with no apparent flaws.

I absolutely love the color and sharpness of the retina screen.

16. alyshehata macrumors member

Now that you mentioned it, yes!! The fonts did look a little blurrier on LG displays. I think it has to do with the IPS vs PLS panel thingy? I didn't want to mention it because it's really subjective, but yes, the fonts on a samsung look smoother.

17. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

I was so keen on getting th LG display RMBP now some ppl are saying the Samsung is better except for the little issues. I wonder by December Apple will sort out this problem and finalize which panel to go with at the end of the day and not have two manufactures producing it...CHOICES CHOICES...

----------

I am on the same boat as you man...I don't know which panel is better as ppl on here say LG is better or some say Samsung is better. You have the LG and u are not happy with it. If you get the Samsung panel please write a review comparing both...Color, Contrast, Brightness so on....

18. Sammio2 macrumors regular

Sammio2

I've just taken delivery of my custom build rMBP and it's got an LG screen... Was hoping for a Samsung but there you go! Seems to be perfect right now! No screen burn in, although i don't intend to run that checkerboard test! If i can't see it in daily usage it's really not important to me!

But right now, another happy customer with an LG screen!

19. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

20. boto macrumors 6502

boto

LG panels are bound to receive IR issues in the coming days, weeks, or months. It is inevitable, I also believed I wasn't affected until 2 months after doing the test could I see the visual burn-in, in less than a minute. So if you are still within the 14 day return period, I would definitely advise you all to return/exchange/repair for a Samsung display at any costs to avoid this common problem.

21. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

I really wish I could but I already returned mine back. :( hoping someone out there who did compare both screens and are willing to give us some details:)

----------

ah ha! you also have noticed this. I was on the retina with LG for 2 hours and went back to my air with the Samsung. Honestly, to my eyes, they are the both same. I suspected there was something wrong. I used my brother's iPad 3 to compare with the LG and apparently the LG was blurry. I know a retina when I see one and I have this great feeling the Samsung screen can only deliver the crispiness. (of course I placed my LG further from the iPad 3 ;D).

22. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Yea I'm so over it now, what I'm going to do is get it fixed just before my warranty expire because they might improve it over time. I just wanna enjoy this beautiful piece of art, I have been thinking returning it and get the Air but I can't after I've been using the Retina display :D

I know it is hard to hide the UGLY TRUTH, however, we can't do anything about it at this stage. Remember you can only see the the IR on a grey backgrounds.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Just got my rMBP. How do you know if it's LG or Samsung?

24. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

you can simply google it out. it's in the web.. not hard to find tho.. or you can use this: ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Huh?