MBPr losing gestures 2-3 times per day?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dronac, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Dronac macrumors member

I trying to figure out if this is a hardware issue or software issue. When waking up my MBPr, about 2-3 times per day it will have lost OS gestures (not Safari gestures). This is fixable by killing the Dock process, but that's ridiculous to have to do multiple times per day. Has anyone else noticed this? I'v tried resetting the PRAM and NVRAM with no success. I talked to someone at the Genius bar who said they can't do anything about it but replace the whole unit (new unit came in, has horrible screen bleed, I'm sending it back and keeping my current one until then). He thought it may be a fault trackpad cable, but I would think the issue would be more consistent if that were the case.

Thoughts? I would just reinstall the OS, but I figure restoring from Time Machine will just bring back any software problems.

2. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Try running a Apple Hardware test. If it doesn't find anything, just do a full Internet Recovery and install apps manually. I did that and it resolve a lot of problems (non trackpad related) when these tests didn't produce any results.

3. Dronac thread starter macrumors member

I'm still new to Time Machine. If I do an OS restore, will restoring from Time Machine just reintroduce problems? Or can specific folders be restored, like my music folder, development libraries, pictures, ect?

4. bogatyr macrumors 65816

This happens on occasion with my 2011 MBA (both 10.7.4 and 10.8.1). I just mess around with manual keys to swap screens and eventually the gestures work again.

5. Dronac thread starter macrumors member

I think I'v found the culprit. After more searching, it seems that non Apple screensavers are messing with Mission Control, which messes up gestures. I has an older version of the widely used Clock screensaver seen here on Macrumors. After disabling it, the issue seems to be resolved. Hopefully 10.8.2 will bring a fix for this.