MBPr Maintence Issues

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
I treat my 2500$ laptop very seriously. Every week I have a quick clean through out the laptop.
First of all, the plug for the charger has these black borders i don't know how to get rid of. (attachment in picture) anybody have any idea how to clean this?

Since the MBPr has these new air vents, It will probably collect at least a bit of dust. So how would I clean it without opening the dam case?

Attachments

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I treat my 2500$ laptop very seriously. Every week I have a quick clean through out the laptop.
First of all, the plug for the charger has these black borders i don't know how to get rid of. (attachment in picture) anybody have any idea how to clean this?
Q-tip and rubbing alcohol.
Since the MBPr has these new air vents, It will probably collect at least a bit of dust. So how would I clean it without opening the dam case?
It will collect less dust than you think. I recently opened my non-unibody MBP after over 4 years of intensive use and travel. There was barely any dust inside. Unless you routinely work in a dust storm, you don't need to worry about it.

How to clean Apple products

Apple also gives instructions on how to clean your Mac in the User Guides for the MBA, MBP and iMac:
Cleaning your Mac When cleaning the outside of your Mac and its components, first shut down your Mac, and then unplug the power adapter. Then use a damp, soft, lint-free cloth to clean the Mac exterior. Avoid getting moisture in any openings. Do not spray liquid directly on the computer. Do not use aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives that might damage the finish.

Cleaning the Mac screen To clean your Mac screen, first shut down your Mac and unplug the power adapter. Then use a soft, lint-free cloth dampened with just water and wipe the screen. Do not spray liquid directly on the screen.
Also, you'll find plenty of suggestions by searching through the many existing threads on this topic, such as these:

Comment

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Q-tip and rubbing alcohol.

It will collect less dust than you think. I recently opened my non-unibody MBP after over 4 years of intensive use and travel. There was barely any dust inside. Unless you routinely work in a dust storm, you don't need to worry about it.

How to clean Apple products

Apple also gives instructions on how to clean your Mac in the User Guides for the MBA, MBP and iMac:

Also, you'll find plenty of suggestions by searching through the many existing threads on this topic, such as these:

Thanks a lot! I am just wondering wouldn't the rubbing alcohol ruin the magnets or the process of the charging?

Comment

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks a lot! I am just wondering wouldn't the rubbing alcohol ruin the magnets or the process of the charging?
Not at all. You can use water, if you prefer. Just make the Q-tip moist. Don't let liquid get inside your Mac.

Comment

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Not at all. You can use water, if you prefer. Just make the Q-tip moist. Don't let liquid get inside your Mac.
Sorry for the many questions, promise this is the last. How would i do it? Drip some water inside of the plug? Use a small cloth and try to go inside? The 5 pins in the middle make it hard to clean.

Comment

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Sorry for the many questions, promise this is the last. How would i do it? Drip some water inside of the plug? Use a small cloth and try to go inside? The 5 pins in the middle make it hard to clean.
Ask as many questions as you like. No, don't drip anything inside the plug. You can moisten a Q-tip, then press it on a cloth to get rid of excess liquid. If the Q-tip is too big, carefully use a dull knife with a damp cloth wrapped over it.

Comment

swordsmn

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
A sharpened pencil eraser might be good on the power connecter area tooand a dab of compressed air. 91% rubbing alcohol better than 70% btw.
Be sparing with the liquid, no drops direct just use a qtip & even wring it out to a point. I also like GGJ's idea. Here I was about to caution you to be non-anal about this & listen to me. You should see how well I clean handguns :)

Comment

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Ask as many questions as you like. No, don't drip anything inside the plug. You can moisten a Q-tip, then press it on a cloth to get rid of excess liquid. If the Q-tip is too big, carefully use a dull knife with a damp cloth wrapped over it.
Thanks a lot! GGJ your always supporting somebody! (I remember you helping me in July)

----------

A sharpened pencil eraser might be good on the power connecter area tooand a dab of compressed air. 91% rubbing alcohol better than 70% btw.
Be sparing with the liquid, no drops direct just use a qtip & even wring it out to a point. I also like GGJ's idea. Here I was about to caution you to be non-anal about this & listen to me. You should see how well I clean handguns :)
lol non-anal (giggle).

Comment

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
After that first dent, u'd forget the whole thing and have more time to do other things. ;)

Comment