MBPr Maintence Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FatGuy007, Oct 24, 2012.

1. FatGuy007, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

FatGuy007 macrumors 6502

I treat my 2500$ laptop very seriously. Every week I have a quick clean through out the laptop.
    First of all, the plug for the charger has these black borders i don't know how to get rid of. (attachment in picture) anybody have any idea how to clean this?

Since the MBPr has these new air vents, It will probably collect at least a bit of dust. So how would I clean it without opening the dam case?

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Q-tip and rubbing alcohol.
    It will collect less dust than you think. I recently opened my non-unibody MBP after over 4 years of intensive use and travel. There was barely any dust inside. Unless you routinely work in a dust storm, you don't need to worry about it.

How to clean Apple products

Apple also gives instructions on how to clean your Mac in the User Guides for the MBA, MBP and iMac:
    Also, you'll find plenty of suggestions by searching through the many existing threads on this topic, such as these:

3. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot! I am just wondering wouldn't the rubbing alcohol ruin the magnets or the process of the charging?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not at all. You can use water, if you prefer. Just make the Q-tip moist. Don't let liquid get inside your Mac.

5. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry for the many questions, promise this is the last. How would i do it? Drip some water inside of the plug? Use a small cloth and try to go inside? The 5 pins in the middle make it hard to clean.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Ask as many questions as you like. No, don't drip anything inside the plug. You can moisten a Q-tip, then press it on a cloth to get rid of excess liquid. If the Q-tip is too big, carefully use a dull knife with a damp cloth wrapped over it.

7. swordsmn macrumors newbie

A sharpened pencil eraser might be good on the power connecter area tooand a dab of compressed air. 91% rubbing alcohol better than 70% btw.
    Be sparing with the liquid, no drops direct just use a qtip & even wring it out to a point. I also like GGJ's idea. Here I was about to caution you to be non-anal about this & listen to me. You should see how well I clean handguns :)

8. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot! GGJ your always supporting somebody! (I remember you helping me in July)

----------

lol non-anal (giggle).

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

After that first dent, u'd forget the whole thing and have more time to do other things. ;)