Resolved MBPR Never Uses Integrated GFX Card

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bwilky, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Bwilky, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

Bwilky macrumors regular

Has anyone noticed that osx is always using the nvidia card? I installed gfxcardstatus and it's on dynamic switching, but never changes. Right now I have, Chrome Dev, itunes,iphone, dreamweaver and teamviewer up.

Not that I really care, I just haven't taken my book off ac yet, and I can see the battery draining in 2 seconds.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Chrome uses Dedicated video card last time I checked.

3. gentlefury macrumors 68030

You answered your own question.

It switches to the HD4000 on battery power to conserve energy. As long as you are on AC you will always be using discreet graphics, as there is no reason not to be.

4. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

gfxcardstatus lists dependencies under the dropdown menu so you can see exactly what is using the discrete GPU.

That's not how it works. Even on AC power it stays on the HD4000 unless something requires the discrete GPU.

5. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

I don't know about nvidia on mac. but in windows 7, chrome uses intel HD graphic card if you don't set it as nvidia in nvidia panel control. it's wrong that chrome uses nvidia all the time. it actually doesn't need that kind of graphic power. intel HD 3000 (or 4000) easily handle for normal work. it even can handle 1080p HD. os if you have mac version of nvidia control panel, if chrome sets as nvidia dedicated, you have to switch to intel HD share graphic.

6. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Apple's graphics switching is not Optimus. Chrome on the Mac does keep the NVIDIA GPU running all the time.

7. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Not according to the OP. Do you have anything to back that up?

8. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

OP has Chrome running which is why the discrete GPU is kicking in. Nonetheless, here's a screenshot for you:

[​IMG]

9. Bwilky thread starter macrumors regular

The Dependencies are:
    • iPhoto
    • Coda 2
    • Chrome Helper

I just went on battery for a good 15 minutes and it didn't switch over. So it doesn't switch over to save battery.

10. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Well then there you go. iPhoto, Coda and Chrome are why the computer is never using the integrated graphics. Quit all of those applications and it should switch right back to the HD4000, whether or not you're on AC power.

If you want the computer to run solely on integrated graphics with those applications running, well, that's what the 'integrated only' option is for.

11. gentlefury macrumors 68030

You are using a 3rd party plugin to force switching. This was about the base OS. Of course it will react the way you have forced it to react.

12. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

No. Dynamic Switching is how the base OS works. The only thing gfxCardStatus does is report whether the computer is using the integrated graphics or the dedicated graphics- it doesn't change how the OS works. It only changes the way the OS works when either the integrated only or discrete only option is selected.

Regardless, OP says that he has gfxcardstatus installed with Dynamic Switching activated so this topic isn't even about a 'base' OS.

13. gentlefury macrumors 68030

my mistake then, thanks for clearing that up. Good to know it is switching as it should then.

14. TheMacBookPro, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

And just for kicks, I've uninstalled gfxcardstatus just now and as you can see the HD4000 is still activated with the AC adapter plugged in:

[​IMG]

15. Bwilky thread starter macrumors regular

I knew there was a catch to that 8 hour battery.

16. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

7 hours, actually.

Of course the computer isn't going to last as long with the dedicated GPU on. They advertise 7 hours of light usage, basically, web browsing over Wi-Fi or typing notes in a word processor. You can use gfxcardstatus to force the integrated GPU on battery so even in Chrome it'll use the HD4000.

17. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

The 8-hour battery is hugely dependent on what applications you're running. It's that way with any notebook computer, not just Macs. There are certain applications that use the discrete card, and you happen to be running a couple of them. You said you have gfxcardstatus installed. Use it to force the computer to use the integrated card. It's really not that huge of an issue.