MBPR - No battery indicator lights?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by npgatech, Jun 15, 2012.

1. npgatech, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012

npgatech macrumors newbie

It is shown in the MBP non-retina but seems like they got rid of this great feature in the retina models. I have the retina model in front of me and I can't find the darn lights.

non-Retina MBP here:

[​IMG]

2. Eriksrocks macrumors member

You are correct. There is no IR sensor (for a remote) or Kensington lock slot either. (I miss the lock slot most).

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's gone. It was never anything besides a gimmick in the first place. One less button/hole to contend with during the manufacturing process.

4. Gata macrumors regular

Gone, for reasons unknown.

Probably because the button was too thick for their liking, and anything smaller would be really difficult to press.

5. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

6. Himecchi macrumors member

I only ever pushed the button to see the pretty lights, I've never actually used it to check my battery life though. I miss the kensington lock the most since I'm gonna be moving into a school dorm soon and I wanted to be able to lock it when I leave my room.

7. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I used it a lot. Always checked to see the battery life when leaving for class to see if I needed to bring my charger, more convenient than opening my computer each time to check the battery %. It's a convenient thing, not really a deal breaker for the retina MBP but still don't understand why they didn't incorporate that and the sleep light. The components are tiny and could easily have been made to fit.

8. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I'm glad all the unnecessary stuff is gone. My only complaint is I'd prefer another USB 3.0 where the HDMI port is. Isn't that what the TB port is for? Get an adapter!

I wish Apple would make a TB dock that clocks in at $200 or less. Maybe even integrated into the square MagSafe charger. The MagSafe cord from the charger could split off at the end into a TB and MagSafe connector. Then back behind on your desk all your USB, Ethernet, FireWire, sound, etc would plug in to that charger. Less clutter and easier docking.

9. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

The sleep indicator is also gone. It's extremely useful. :(

10. doh123 macrumors 65816

yes, because they slow down laptop thieves by at least 4 or 5 seconds...

11. Himecchi macrumors member

Mehh guess that's true I would have just felt a little bit safer like that rather then just leaving it open to be pulling off my desk but I guess I'll have to trust my room mates a bit more or wrap it up with the thickest chains I can find and chain it to the wall or something

12. dontcallmyname macrumors member

I used the battery indicator button all the time when I first got my mbp. As the battery got old and didn't work much, i didn't see the point - i knew the battery was going to be low.

I never used the lock, even though I lived on campus and worked in libraries extensively. It's something that I would consider using though and it is a shame it isn't there. Yeah, it might not really slow anyone down, but it might make someone think twice about trying to take your computer...