MBPR not as snappy when opening lid.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mexico, Jul 19, 2012.

1. mexico macrumors member

Hey all. First off, LOVE THIS THING. Second, I'm wondering why it is so slow to display my screen when I open it. On my old 07 MBP, the thing would light up before I even had the screen half-way open, This thing takes up to 15 seconds most of the time. I know its kind of splitting hairs, but just wondering.

I can upload a video a little later.

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

3. Pupator macrumors member

Something is not right. My screen turns on immediately. If it was 2 seconds, maybe that's sluggish software problems but 15?

4. Marilynfan macrumors member

Marilynfan

5. Uzinusa macrumors newbie

Having a screen saver on, makes mine take about 10s, without it on it's more like 2s.

6. lotorus macrumors newbie

I'm experiencing some weird sleep related issues also. I'm wondering how much is related to the display and how much are other factors. Does changing the resolution affect sleep behavior?

Sometimes mine is slow to go to sleep. I'll close the lid, then 2-3 seconds realize i forgot to do something. It didn't go to sleep and as I begin to work again, it then sleeps from when I had closed the lid 6 seconds ago.

I installed sleepwatcher and the sleep behavior is very peculiar. I've set my display to sleep after 15 minutes of idle, no screen saver. Sleepwatcher will get triggered after 10 minutes of being idle, even though the computer isn't asleep, nor the display. I'm not sure which service is being monitored by sleepwatcher, but maybe OS X begins shutdown and startup sequences well before it stops sending signal to the display?

7. ACiB708 macrumors regular

Mine takes definitely LESS than 2 seconds to light up, it's instantaneous. Go check it at your local apple store.

This. haha :)

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Simple, your Mac`s have differing sleep parameters; the 07 MBP is still effectively on, with all data suspended to RAM, the Retina does the same only after a short time (aprox 1 hour) shuts down completely, after this period on wake up the system has to read the data from SSD which takes time depending on the number of apps open.

Search for "Safe Sleep" and you will see, Mac`s with HDD are in general bound by battery life, the newer Air`a and now rMBP are time-bound, resorting to the saved image on the SSD to significantly extend battery life.

9. ZipZap macrumors 601

Got an external USB drive attached? Seems Mac OS has trouble with these at wake time as well as boot time.