Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joebrown

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Hi everyone,

Basically, as the title suggests, I'm looking to get a new Macbook Pro Retina and am eligible for student discount as well as the free pair of Beats which Apple is offering with any Mac purchase this summer. However, I'm also worried of taking the leap now only for the long awaited updated MBPr to come out in September.

I'm not desperate to get a new mac right away and am actually going away for 5 weeks next month anyway, so my question is, should I just order it now with the discount I can get, or wait till September in the hope that any release they do make is made before the summer beats deal is up, and that I can order it straight away before that happens.

Has anybody had any experience of this? How long do Apple tend to run the Back to School deal into September?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I obviously just want to buy getting the best deal at the best time considering I probably won't make the purchase again for a good few years!

Cheers,
Joe

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
It would be easier make a suggestion if we knew your use for the device.

Unless the Beats super important, you can find better deals on the current rMBP by outside of Apple's offerings.. even with your student discount. If you buy the current model, you can probably save a few Benjamins. If you wait, you will probably be paying full price, or maybe $100 off with the student discount. With that said, the current model will probably have even bigger discounts once the new one is released. So, as most people on this forum will say, you are better off to wait if you can.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hi everyone,

Basically, as the title suggests, I'm looking to get a new Macbook Pro Retina and am eligible for student discount as well as the free pair of Beats which Apple is offering with any Mac purchase this summer. However, I'm also worried of taking the leap now only for the long awaited updated MBPr to come out in September.

I'm not desperate to get a new mac right away and am actually going away for 5 weeks next month anyway, so my question is, should I just order it now with the discount I can get, or wait till September in the hope that any release they do make is made before the summer beats deal is up, and that I can order it straight away before that happens.

Has anybody had any experience of this? How long do Apple tend to run the Back to School deal into September?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I obviously just want to buy getting the best deal at the best time considering I probably won't make the purchase again for a good few years!

Cheers,
Joe

They run it just up to point of releasing new stuff, yes this is a deliberate ploy to sell off older stock to students, great business ploy by Apple there. Give away some headphones no one In their right mind would pay the prices they are asking for anyway, sell off last years stock of computers to students who need a new computer for the school year, then release the new stuff.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Your need is not immediate as per your post, so I'd say wait. While you can probably save more money now, its such an older chipset, that its hard to justify spending that much money when a newer model is around the corner. At the very least if you don't like what Apple does in the new model when its released, you can buy the older one for even less. Its a win-win situation :)

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
A pair of beats should not be a deciding factor. There is no way, if there was no immediate need, I would buy what is available now. Beats or no Beats. And if really in no rush, buy a rMBP next year during the Beats promotion (assuming it will be there next year which it should).

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
A pair of beats should not be a deciding factor. There is no way, if there was no immediate need, I would buy what is available now. Beats or no Beats. And if really in no rush, buy a rMBP next year during the Beats promotion (assuming it will be there next year which it should).

Beats = overpriced junk

Money you paid go toward advertising rather than making good products.

Last edited:

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Say what you want about Beats, but college aged folks love them and its as much about a fashion statement as a set of headphones. My daughter is entering her junior year as a Graphics Design major and needs to buy a MacBook Pro for this school year. She's been getting by with a hand-me-down 2008 MacBook Air that was the top model at that time I bought it, and its been holding up pretty well, but getting long in the tooth. She is chomping at the bit to get the laptop now (and a new pair of Beats), but I'm wanting her to wait for new models. The benefit of a new model for a college student is that it will last her well into her post-graduate years and avoid a pricey purchase when she's just getting started on her own.

Any thoughts on when new models would be released? College classes startup in August, so guessing nothing will happen before then.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Say what you want about Beats, but college aged folks love them and its as much about a fashion statement as a set of headphones. My daughter is entering her junior year as a Graphics Design major and needs to buy a MacBook Pro for this school year. She's been getting by with a hand-me-down 2008 MacBook Air that was the top model at that time I bought it, and its been holding up pretty well, but getting long in the tooth. She is chomping at the bit to get the laptop now (and a new pair of Beats), but I'm wanting her to wait for new models. The benefit of a new model for a college student is that it will last her well into her post-graduate years and avoid a pricey purchase when she's just getting started on her own.

Any thoughts on when new models would be released? College classes startup in August, so guessing nothing will happen before then.

FYI, I am a university student.

If you buy her a pair of Sennheiser, she will say that it's one of the best headphones she has ever used.

Last edited:

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014

Probably September, atleast announced then and shipping October. I'd have her see what computer labs are available, if the library on campus doesn't have what she needs then a smaller one for the graphic design school may exist.

Mavrack

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
Agreed. Terrible set of cans. You can get better sounding headphones for 1/2, or less.
I used to think that too, the original ones were definitely overpriced POS. That said, I own quite a few pairs of audiophile quality headphones and having recently got some Beats through the promotion gave them a lengthy sound test... They aren't actually quite bad. In fact they're, dare I say it, quite good for a $200 set of on ear headphones. Range is decent, bass is definitely present, little vielded, but not bad. What surprised me is the mids and the treble, it's actually present and decently clear. Obviously something like the SRH-1540s are going to blow them away, but those are much more pricey.

Be careful with the Sennheisers btw, while they do sell quite a few tremendous headphones, not all of them are good. Obviously stay away from the budget sets, once you head into Momentum territory however you should be good. Also due remember to keep open vs closed backed headphones in your mind when purchasing.

Good in depth audiophile review of them in case any of you would be interested.

Last edited:

elementg12

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2011
I just got the rMBP because my old laptop broke and needed a new one for school. I just decided to get the current one just cause I think it't better for this point in time. The new one gets rid of some features that make it more annoying, only USB-c, no sd card slot, no hdmi. I will be taking this to school so I really don't want to have adaptors and wires just so i can hook up usb accessories, which I may or may not use at school sometimes. In a few years when usb-c becomes the standard I may get a new one, but for right now the current one is good for me. Sure the new one will be a little more powerful, probably like 10% or so better cpu performance, but thats not a big deal too much for me. If you were to get the current one I just got mine from an eBay store which is selling a 15'' for $1600, thats $400 plus eBay is tax free, except for New Jersey, so its $500+ off including tax. It was brand new, sealed, and included the factory warranty. eBay Link if you want it, I was gonna do the school deal too until I saw this.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Your welcome. But about those grades...

Well, I am tryin!

I used to think that too, the original ones were definitely overpriced POS. That said, I own quite a few pairs of audiophile quality headphones and having recently got some Beats through the promotion gave them a lengthy sound test... They aren't actually quite bad. In fact they're, dare I say it, quite good for a $200 set of on ear headphones. Range is decent, bass is definitely present, little vielded, but not bad. What surprised me is the mids and the treble, it's actually present and decently clear. Obviously something like the SRH-1540s are going to blow them away, but those are much more pricey.

Be careful with the Sennheisers btw, while they do sell quite a few tremendous headphones, not all of them are good. Obviously stay away from the budget sets, once you head into Momentum territory however you should be good. Also due remember to keep open vs closed backed headphones in your mind when purchasing.

Good in depth audiophile review of them in case any of you would be interested.

The reality distortion field must be strong.

Right after Apple acquired Beats, the headphones sound much better and magical.

Mavrack

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
Well, I am tryin!

The reality distortion field must be strong.

Right after Apple acquired Beats, the headphones sound much better and magical.
+1 For creativity, did give me a laugh. But...but you didn't hear the magical sparkles too ;)? I will have you know that every time the bass drops a Unicorn sees it's own reflection and ****s rainbows.

Lol seriously though, I have no particular attachment to Apple and couldn't care less if a product is made by them or not. Just so happens that some of the products they manufacture I enjoy using (Macs, iPhones), I own plenty of android devices too that I thoroughly enjoy.

That said, you'd have to be daft to think there is no difference between the Solo and Solo2's. Vastly improved is an understatement in itself, it's like they went from a radioactive turd to a nice Sandwich. Obviously not a Filet Mignon, but it is still a nice Sandwich. Food and **** references aside, bashing the Solo2's outright like that just goes to show how far your knowledge of headphones extends. Have a A, B with a variety of different headphones through different genres with them and see how they sound for yourself. They are honestly not bad headphones for on ear around $200, if you branch into over the ear you will find better sure like the 840s and the Meze 99s but overall it's a strong effort and nice soundstage vs a good majority of similarly priced headphones. Don't take my word for it, give it a try for yourself. You'd might be surprised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.