Price Advice MBPr Resale Value

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Stigy, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Stigy macrumors newbie

I just broke my mid-2010 Macbook Pro (argh :mad:) and have been contemplating waiting for the Broadwell MBPr expected in 2-3 months, but working on a Chromebook for the next few months is not feasible for doing any type of development.

I've come to the decision that the small bump in specs won't have too much affect on my daiy workload (simple web development, small Android / iOS development) so am going to buy the current generation Haswell MBPr as a replacement.

If the 2016 (Skylake based MBPr) is a huge bump in spec I'll probably look to sell the one I am going to purchase within the next week. How well do MacBook Pros hold their value over the course of a few years? I've seen iPhones hold their value really, really well but wondered how well the MacBooks hold their value?

Thanks in advance!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They hold their values quite well from year to year. Its hard to say what the future holds, but I've been generally happy with how my MBPs held their values

Broadwell is a die shrink, so you'll see a little performance increase, better battery but the iGPU is purported to be better. Since your stated usage isn't relying heavily on the GPU, this should represent any issues.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Not like they used to

They used to hold brilliantly but apple constantly lowering prices and the flood of them on the market with increased sales means they aren't as good as they used to be for holding their price. The great deals on refurbs and in the likes of B&H have also lowered second hand mac prices.

At the moment I would guess you'd get back about 50-65% of what you spent after 18 months. I would consider going for a late 2013 refurb to save some cash and give you a better chance of recouping your money when you sell the .2ghz speed difference with the 2014 will make no difference and the money saved will fairly substantial.

4. Stigy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm that is good advice.

Found a late-2013 (8GB RAM / 256GB SSD) on Apple's refurb site for $150 less than a brand new mid-2014 version. Is there anywhere else that will sell refurbished that I can look at?

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I am in the UK so my knowledge of where to buy refurb in the US (assuming thats where you are) is limited.

However the US refurb site has the 2014 version as a refurb for $240 off and even more for the 2013.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/13

I would reccomend you go with apple refurbished, apart from the box they are as new with new batteries and any faulty parts or damaged casing replaced. They also come with the same one year warranty and the option for up to 3 years applecare within the first year as a new one.

6. Stigy thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't notice the 2014 version on the refurb site, but with tax that brings me $30 away from my Macmall price (no tax, free shipping).

7. Jeff R macrumors 6502

Jeff R

Good find! I'd stick with Apple Refurb Store. It's like getting a brand new machine with the same 1 year warranty. You can also get Apple Care for refurbs.