MBPr screen color uniformity calibration fix? / yellow tinge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by J3ffry, Dec 30, 2012.

1. J3ffry, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012

J3ffry macrumors member

Is this possible?

My original macbook had some dead pixels i noticed after the 2 week period. So they replaced the screen, but this one had backlight bleeding. At that time i became ocd as **** so i opted for another replacement. This one had the yellow tinge (first time i noticed this problem) so i took it back again. This time i got one back with minimal yellowing but with severe backlight bleed. I contacted apple and they agreed to sent me a new computer.

I received it last monday and it hasn't got any dead pixels, and wow, no backlight bleeding it all! But it does has a color shift towards the lower left corner of the screen. Now i'm wondering isn't there a way to fix this with calibration? Like with the colorprofiles, only then for different segments of the screen? This would totally solve everything!

The 3 screens i've seen before this new macbook all had backlight bleeding in some matter, so i feel i'm lucky this one has NONE. That's whats preventing me from seeing apple again.

I would like to say that before the experience with my MBPr i knew absolutely nothing about screens and never had any problems with them whatsoever. Now i can check a screen for backlight bleeding, yellowing, image retention and dead pixels within minutes.

This leaves me with a rather unpleasant feeling about all this... Because apart from this the computer and screen are absolutely brilliant! Why is it that there is no consistency in quality regarding backlight bleeding and uniformity? Dead pixels I can somehow understand with 4 million of them. But isn't backlight bleeding and yellowish tint only a matter of precise alignment? No really, is there someone who can get me an explanation of the manufacturing process?

This computer is amazing! Now it's such a shame that i can't enjoy it fully because of this yellow tint...

I'm just wondering, how do all your MacBooks do? Do you got any issues? I checked with http://imac.squeaked.com/test.php

All my screens were samsung BTW.

Greets,
    Jeffrey

2. M Powered macrumors regular

I don't think Apple has any form of uniformity correction. I know on high end desktop LCD panels they have uniformity correction. On my NEC PA241W there is 5 levels of uniformity correction, I doubt anything like this will be introduced to a laptop anytime soon.

In the mean time if it bothers you that much exchange it. I went through 4 MBP's last year to find a good one. Luckily this year I only had to do 1 exchange to get a good one.

3. J3ffry, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012

J3ffry thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanx for your reply...

Pity that there isn't something like this. Just some software thingy that gives you the option to divide the screen into sections and let's you alter the whitepoint for them. I'm no engineer but with the specs of the macbook i'm thinking that something like this must be possible.

Regarding my macbook; the last three screens all had a yellow tint in some matter, also mostly towards the lower left. So i'm thinking maybe is has something to do with the production process and thats why it's happening a lot. Same with the backlight bleeding, i think most people don't notice and just don't care plus haven't seen any reference material. But there are pretty significant different quality outcomes when you know where to look for.

Do you think its realistic to swap this one in and hope for a better screen? Like what are the odds the next replacement is the right one?

The macbook i got now is a new one i received because of the original had goon trough 3 reperations. Does the 2 week swap period also counts for this one? Or is it a little bit more hassle to get it replaced?

Since i've seen 3 of this screens myself i just can't imagine that there are no other people in this situation? I think this tinting is a real problem when working with white documents (photoshop, indesign, word, pdf, etc).

Greets,
    Jeffrey