MBPr Screen Differences, interesting...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chorner, Nov 16, 2012.

1. chorner macrumors member

So I've had the chance now to play with two 15" retina MBP's.

One with a Samsung display, and one with an LG display. No, this is not an image retention thread, but potentially something more major.

If you zoom in and look closely on your iTunes or Mac App store icons, on the LG panel you'll notice what looks like horizontal scan lines or individual pixels, and not a smooth gradient. Doing the same on a Samsung panel, you'll notice a very smooth gradient and absolutely no pixelation.

I find this interesting, and I'm certain that the LG panel must be a 6-bit panel while the Samsung is a full 8-bit panel. Either that (and much less realistically IMO) or the dithering on the LG screen sucks. Either way, in my experience with two machines side-by-side those with LG screens are being shafted.

However... as a last resort before I mount a full-on complaint 'campaign' could anybody else test and confirm this?

2. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

Do you think u could have took a picture so that we can see this? I still have to see the LG and Samsung panels in person to determine which one I will get!

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Maybe it`an individual display issue my Retina has an LG and i am not able to reproduce what you are describing, even at maximum zoom.

4. chorner thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for checking. Interesting - I'm going to go in to the store and take a close look at another LG panel on display to see if mine is just 'off' for whatever reason.

5. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Great findings! My LG screen SUCKS!!! Ghoshing issues and now 1 dead pixel appeared :(:mad:

I really like this laptop but I think I will sell it and get an Air or iMac + iPad

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Maybe a picture of both machines will help, as what you are describing is that although the image is the same the displays reproduce it differently.

7. chorner thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately it is hard to photograph - taking a picture of the screen close enough to even capture it creates a moire in the photograph. Not sure how to post it on here... just need comparisons from others with LG screens.