MBPr screen flicker when dGPU switches to iGPU

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iPersian, Nov 13, 2013.

1. iPersian macrumors regular

i have noticed that just right after i quit software like photoshop, iPhoto and archicad. the screen makes a flash, a flicker.

i have noticed that this only happens when there is a gpu switch. i can see this since i have gfxcardstatus. Anyone else who has this problem? or know what the hell is going on?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You're not alone. Same thing happens to mine also (late-2013 rMBP 15" with GT750M)

3. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Yeah this happens to me too.

I think this is perfectly normal as the graphics work is being passed to the dGPU and vice-versa when it switched back to integrated.

Then again, I could be wrong.

4. iPersian thread starter macrumors regular

does this happen all over the screen or half of it. most of the times, its the upper hals that does this.

----------

sometimes its the whole screen sometimes its the upper half.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Mine's the entire screen.

6. myxomatosis, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

myxomatosis macrumors member

myxomatosis

Doesn't happen on my Intel HD Graphics 4000/GT 650M 2012 rMBP. Could it be a driver issue with the new rMBP model?

7. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

8. iPersian thread starter macrumors regular

could be I'm worried that its a hardware issue since it flickers half of the screen sometimes.

----------

have you installed all the maverick/efi updates? i have and there is a small chance that its connected to the update if you have not installed them.

9. walkie macrumors 6502

Same here, no flickering on my rMBP with Intel 4000/650M when switching.

10. sephirot macrumors newbie

I don't see any flickering when switching between integrated and dedicated graphics with gfxcardstatus on my Haswell 15" rMBP, 2.3GHz,750M. The only thing I see is the the mouse pointer disappearing for a fraction of time.

This is with the latest EFI installed, all apps quit and 'best for retina' settings. I didn't try higher resolutions, which could make a difference?

11. iPersian, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013

iPersian thread starter macrumors regular

ill be damned. when i set the screen resolution to best for retina i can not see the flicker. you mentioned something there and you don't know how much i appreciate this.

its without a doubt linked to resolution of the screen. there is a into flicker, but over the whole screen. you barely notice it if you look after it.

so at least for now when using best for retina the screen is faultless with no flickering.

----------

can you try the 1600.. resolution or go higher to see if you can see it?

12. iPersian thread starter macrumors regular

can anyone set the resolution to higher than best for retina and check?

13. sephirot macrumors newbie

Ok, I tried it now on both 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 and I encountered the flickering too while switching, but only about 2 times out of 10 switches. It's like the top half of the screen goes black very briefly.

I'm not very concerned about this, because obviously the screen has to be redrawn and the graphics memory copied over from one GPU to the other, and with a higher resolution there is more to copy, so this doesn't seem that unusual to me.

14. iPersian thread starter macrumors regular

aha! exactly, thanx for the help! thats exactly what my mac does, going black at the top half of the screen.

Try that with iPhoto it happens almost every times right? at least very often but if you turn dgpu on/off constantly by opening and quitting the same app it becomes less until you take a brake..