MBPr SSD speed - random read

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sony123, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Sony123, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012

Sony123 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    at first, sorry for my english :)

I would like buy my firts Mac. And, I dont know what i should buy, used MBPc 2011 and buy there SSD or buy new MPBr.

I readed some test, reviews, benchmarks, but today a find this SSD test.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6005/apples-new-ssd-its-fast

SSD on MBPr is slow in random 4k test.

Speed is here half compared with any OWC, samsung ... ssd`s.

They are testing 512GB version, I would like buy 256GB, is there any different?

2. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: Those tests...

Hi,

From my reading of Anand's report...

As Anand admits in his description of the 4K random speeds you are referring to, he could not perform direct comparisons as he did not have to proper adaptor to switch the rMBP's SSD to his test platform, thus these tests are not directly comparable (and Anand perhaps should not have even reported these results since they were not performed under the same conditions).

On the other hand, Apple's SSD and the Samsung 830s are using the same, and latest, controllers and thus should see approximately the same speeds. Anand's comparison of the previous MBA's SSD speeds to the speeds of the rMBP's SSDs shows that the latest controllers provide much improved performance over last year's controllers. I think this is the more pertinent test results to consider (who knows what the other comparison between Apple's SSD and Samsung's is really showing since the tests were not performed on the same test platform).

...just my two cents worth of opinions...

Switon

3. Sony123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok , thanks :)

Have the 256GB version same Samsung 830 ssd? Or it is different model?

4. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: rMBP SSD speeds...

Hi,

Just some personal observations...when transferring very large data files, I see around 430 MB/s write and 449 MB/s read speeds for the rMBP's SSD. Of course, these numbers are highly dependent upon exactly what is being read/written, and will vary over time and what other processes are running. But suffice it to say that the SSD in the rMBP provides top performances when compared with the Samsung 830s, as well as it should since they use the same controllers, albeit with different firmware (I believe, but don't know that for a fact). I have seen the "Activity Monitors" numbers go as high as 600 MB/s for reads, but this is probably not to be trusted as an actual read speed but rather results in the way the Activity Monitor calculates its values.

Switon