Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2ms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2002
I have a mid-2012 (i.e., the first ever base model) 15" mbpr with an SSD that is full.

Can anyone tell me what the options are on upgrading to a larger SSD? I'm sick of waiting for Apple's slow ass to introduce new MBPs -- the current models seem to be mostly the same as what I bought almost 4 years ago. I'll just have to upgrade the size of my drive.

Last I checked a couple years ago, getting a Transcend Jetdrive was one option, but it's around $500 for 1TB and it did not offer Trim support which may or may not have been an issue.

Have superior options arrived on the scene over the last year or two?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
OWC and Transcend are your aftermarket options for that model. My preference would be the Transcend.

If you have Yosemite or El Capitan installed you can easily enable TRIM with the command below in Terminal.

Code:
sudo trimforce enable

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
How much do you want to spend?
Are you happy spending $400 or more?

If the answer is "no", a suggestion:

Think hard about what is on the internal drive now, that you REALLY NEED to be "on there".

You could save a good deal of money by getting something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ZTRY532?tag=delt-20
... and then "off-loading" non-critical stuff from the internal drive to the external SSD.

Yes, it does require that you connect it when you need to access something on the external drive.
But I sense that most of the time, you won't really need to be going after the non-critical files stored thereon.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
That is what I do -- offload extraneous stuff that I don't need to use all the time to an external SSD (Samsung T1). Works a treat, and it is interesting how infrequently I really do need to access some of that stuff after all. It had all been taking up room on my old iMac's 1 TB drive, and when I was considering buying a 15" rMBP with a 512 GB SSD I knew that I couldn't fit everything on to it and so made some decisions about how I was going to deal with this even before purchasing the computer. I consider the external SSD to be a supplementary drive and as such it is different than the external drives I use for backups. When I do a backup I back up not only the rMBP now, but also the supplementary drive as well.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Buy the mSATA adapter on eBay/Amazon for $15 and then buy a Samsung mSATA SSD 1TB for $300

All internal, no hassle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.