MBPR Supply or Demand Problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tkhan456, Jun 18, 2012.

1. tkhan456 macrumors member

So who thinks the MBPR scarcity is a demand vs supply problem. I think the launch was botched and it's a supply problem because usually in very high-demand situations (iPhone/iPad launches) Apple has always been able to get at least some supplies to the stores to sell, even if online it was sold out for weeks. The problem then was the demand was so high, they just couldnt put out enough units. This time it's been different. There hasn't been a single store in the DC area that has sold a unit yet because they haven't received any to actually sell. I think they screwed up the supply chain. Thoughts?

2. TSloper macrumors member

Apple doesn't screw up when it comes to supply chain. There are a lot of new components in the retina version and it will take time to ramp production to meet the demand.

- new chassis
    - new SSD module
    - new LCD panel (yield may not be maximized yet)
    - new processor
    - new cooling components
    - new battery form factor

Apple is not going to leave revenue on the table artificially.

3. leenak macrumors 68020

Not a single store? People have been buying them all over the DMV. I've heard reports of Falls Church, Bethesda, Germantown, etc. Now I don't know about DC itself but the suburbs have definitely been getting them and selling out like hotcakes.

(typing from my rMBP but I ordered mine online)

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If there were no demand, or less demand, then supply wouldn't be an issue. Where Steve Jobs was known for being an "idea" guy, Tim Cook is a a "supply chain" guy. Apple unable to obtain parts are not an issue; building them fast enough is. Unlike the iPhone and iPad, Macs go on sale to the entire world on the same day. Also, as noted, this is an all-new machine. The production line is likely slower than maximum output as it ramps up.

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

OP, there's been may people that have purchased their retina MBPs from Apple Retail Stores. Can you verify that none of the ones in your area have had any at all to sell? I just can't imagine that's true since others haven't had problems getting them. I don't think the launch was botched at all...I'm pretty sure this is what Apple had in mind. And just because people's online orders say they aren't shipping for 4 weeks doesn't mean it's true. I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of those ship out earlier than expected.

6. Evilgamer macrumors member

Definately in large part supply. I don't think the web store ever said "in stock", and I was on there as soon as it came up. Combine that with most stores only receiving about 3 the first week, and you have little to no ready stock.

7. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

It is definitely a supply problem not a demand problem. Especially for a brand new $2200 product. There are some people out there, especially those on this forum, that are willing to spend that amount on an Apple computer. However, most consumers are not dying to get this ASAP. I feel like the word can't have even gotten out to that many yet that this laptop is out, as most people discover new products in Apple stores for the first time. So what I'm saying is the only people who have been able to get any are those who are Apple fans like myself or the select few that got lucky wanting a new laptop when they walked into Best Buy. I think that the demand is bigger than what Apple anticipated, but I agree in that many new components are slowly becoming more available, and the demand will likely outdo supply for another month or so before they become purchasable at will.

8. tkhan456 thread starter macrumors member

I've called every single morning, G-town, Fallschurch, Pentagon City, Fairfax, and all report not having a single one yet to sell.

----------

Sounds like they screwed up their supply chain to me. If you don't have a supply chain already ramped up in production at launch to keep up, then you launched pre-maturely.

----------

Well calling every store in the area each day at opening time and asking if they have any available followed by have you even had any at all since the launch to sell and the answer to both those always being "no," I feel that is a pretty strong argument that they haven't had any. Now maybe the sales people I've spoken with don't know, but they seem pretty confident and definitive in their answers.

9. leenak macrumors 68020

I don't know what to tell you other than in the thread "In Store Today", people in the DC Metro have reported buying them at local Apple and Best Buy stores.

10. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

The demand is quite high.....but the supply is woefully low.

This isn't iPad type demand, but it seems like it because stores are getting 1-2 units in every couple of days. Apple should have just waited until ML to ship in my opinion.

Apple stores are completely clueless and it doesn't help they have 6-8 display units pimping the thing out right when you walk in the door. On top of that, the giant Retina MBP in the Window seems like overkill when your employees and reps don't even know when they will get their first unit in the door.

11. leenak macrumors 68020

And I agree that the supply is low but this normally wouldn't be an issue with any other laptops. I've ordered custom built laptops before from other companies and normal delivery times for custom built laptops are 3-4 weeks. It seems that apple customers, in general, have high expectations. I was able to get a custom built rMBP in less than a week, which I think is amazing. Other people may be waiting 3-4 weeks but is that really an issue? I know there are many, like myself, who have been holding out on an upgrade until the new MBPs came out so of course we are anxious but patience isn't a bad thing.

This will all settle out within a month as stores start to see more supply and the online store is able to meet the demands.

12. PVisitors macrumors 6502a

There was an interesting post in the MBPR order status thread where someone ran their MBPR serial number through the sites his MBPR was produced a week before WWDC.

It suggests to me that production had only started the week before WWDC so what we have now is a huge back order while the production line grinds out products which are going straight into the hands of consumers, rather than starting slightly earlier (which seems to be the case of the classic MBP). The only odd thing is that Apple didn't have Retina display models straight away for all Apple stores (this bit isn't hard, come on) which I would expect from Apple. Where does that blame lie? Is that the fault of a supply chain or the new Retail VP?

It's one way of 'doubling down on secrecy' I suppose.

Within 1 month it will settle down and we sill the shipping times slowly go down to the level of the iPad3.

13. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

How can you say you think it's a supply problem and not a demand problem? It's a supply AND demand problem. They don't have enough supply for the demand.

You can't separate the two. If they can't keep up with demand, yeah it's a supply problem, because of demand.

14. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I'm guessing that they wanted to go ahead and release them because WWDC was their target for announcement and had been for weeks in advance, as backed up by various sources including the Bloomberg article.

Also, stockpiling them ahead of time would have potentially led to more leaks about the exact details of the product.

I think the real mistake was not announcing at WWDC with a statement like "Shipping this month, order yours today".

15. hashholly macrumors 6502

II read somewhere before the release that they were having low-yields of the retina display, which could also explain the supply issue.