MBPr Turning on but Screen Black

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MyiBill, May 5, 2014.

1. MyiBill macrumors 6502

My MBPr is turning on, I can see the keyboard lights on but the screen remains black. I have to restart it a few times and then the screens turns on. Happens every time the computer goes to sleep. Called Apple and tried the Pram reset but problem occurred instantly upon reboot. Have an appointment on Wednesday with the genius bar. Anyone have anything similar occur? Same problem happens with my thunderbolt display.

2. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

I'm having the same exact problem. Once my rMBP goes to sleep, the screen is black (shows mouse, and keyboard backlight is one) This haven't happened to me before, so I'm guessing it's from a recent update. Only way for me to fix it is to close the macbook then open it again, it's annoying.

3. maxsquared macrumors regular

I had exactly the same problem earlier this year, I thought it my screen was gone, and started panicking, as my MBPr is not in warranty anymore.

Mine was worse than yours, mine wouldn't even show screen no matter what I do. I thought what's the worst will happen, so I opened the back and found the connector for LCD from ifixit, removed it then used compressed air to clean inside of it. Then I reconnected everything up, closed the back panel, switch my mac with glimpse of hope, then the magic happened, my LCD came back to live, I think it's over 2 months now it's running without any problems.

I guess if you are covered by Apple Care still, should take it in, if not, worth a try to just open the back and give it a clean.

4. cruzmisl macrumors regular

If you wait, it'll actually show the unlock screen. You can also just type in your password and it'll log in.

You can also disable the locked screen after screen wakeup/screensaver and it won't do it anymore.

5. MyiBill thread starter macrumors 6502

Sometimes it doesn't even work for me when I close the lid and reopen. Im not in applecare but I have insurance so if somethings wrong and I get a letter from apple I get a new computer.

While I understand it may be an easy fix to open the back and clean, I shouldn't have to do that, especially on a >$2K computer.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

same here. had this problem before the first mavericks bugfix.
    no it recently started again, but now the screen goes to sleep, mouse stays on and blight stays on. i have to open - reopen a few times before it starts up again. I, too have insurance and i am glad since i am not sure about how far this apple care would really go.

7. MyiBill thread starter macrumors 6502

Well turns out it is the logic board failing and it needs to be replaced. If your still under AppleCare I would definitely bring it in ASAP of your having this problem. The genius said the problem was very weird and should go away with the pram reset but he did that and the screen flashed straight to black upon reboot. Then said it's the logic board, graphic card specifically but since it's soldered in the whole thing needs to be replaced.