MBPr USB ports - can they take abuse?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by luvmymbpr, Dec 30, 2014.

1. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Hi all,

I have a late 2013 MBPr. Last night, I was in a rush to get something printed out, and I had to quickly plug in a usb printer to spit out 2 documents. In my haste, I plugged in the usb cable at a sharp/high angle. I heard a "cracking" noise that made me have a heart attack. Upon checking the usb port, it seems to be fine and works with all connected usb devices. I touched the inside tab that makes the usb connection, and it seems strong and rigid. I'm HOPING it was just the neck of the usb cable making a noise from the sharp bend.

Has anyone experienced a physically broken USB port on these newer macbooks with the aluminum chassis? I played around with an older USB hub to see how tough that little plastic tab is, and it seems they are all designed to flex a bit. It took a deliberate prying against it with a screw driver to snap it. I'm hoping my macbook is fine, and I'm just being OCD.

Also, in the event a USB port needed replacement, is that something an Apple store could do? Or, would that have to be shipped out?

Thanks for the info!

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

They can flex, but they are not robust. If it gets broken, it's an entire logic board replacement.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

IF you heard cracking then it occurred either in cable or the port itself. Unfortunately, if it is broken, nothing short of a logic board replacement can be done to fix this.

If this plastic tab inside seems strong, and nothing else appears wiggly, then you may have dodged a bullet.

Good luck

4. luvmymbpr thread starter macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Thanks for the info! I'm guessing there is probably no middle ground. These appear to go from 100% healthy to 100% snapped. At least that's what I saw when playing with an older usb hub. I couldn't get them to break halfway. They went from healthy to snapped off and loose. Nothing in between.

In the event the port stops working in the future, is that something Applecare would fix? I have a 3yr Applecare warranty on the machine. If so, would it have to be shipped out?

Thanks again

5. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Apple Care normally covers manufacturer's defects. Unless your coverage has accidental damage, the USB port would not be covered (you could get lucky).

I believe the repair could be done in store.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, they'll see it broken and not cover the repair. AppleCare is just for manufacturer defects. User damage is not covered

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Seconded. AppleCare does not cover "Act of Oops".

8. luvmymbpr thread starter macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Well that's crappy. A USB port is broken and you're out like $600 for the repair?

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

10. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

You mean welcome to the real world? NO ONE is going to cover a broken USB port under warranty.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You can pay Dell to cover "Act Of Oops", it's just an extended warranty. Apple doesn't offer that, which is too bad. There's a lot of crestfallen faces when I explain that spilling one's coffee/tea/water/vodka into a MacBook Air isn't covered by AppleCare.

12. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Agreed. IBM/Lenovo have refuse to fix our machines at work due to the hamfisted users mangling the USB ports.

User damage, be it death by coffee, a smashed screen or bludgeoning the USB ports to death isn't covered under the manufacturer warranty.

13. luvmymbpr thread starter macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

That's fine. My grief is over the extensive cost and repair. It's like the cigarette lighter on your car dies and you have to replace the transmission to fix it. Holy overkill lol.

Let's just hope my USB ports stay working. They both seem strong and working normal. The inside plastic tabs seem to be okay.

----------

For you guys that have had to replace logic boards out of pocket, what does it cost for them to replace one in a newer 15" mbpr ?

Are both USB ports apart of the logic board or just one?

Thanks again for all the info. You guys are the best.

14. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Find an independent and they might try and replace the USB port on the logic board if they can get the part. Unfortunately Apple don't do component level repairs.

In most of the cases I've seen at work they've continued to use the port, bent the pins and blown the USB controller in the chipset in the process. That's social workers for you - always know best and ignore advice...

----------

You've not said which model.

The left hand ports are on the logic board for the 15". The right hand ports (card reader, HDMI, USB) are on a daughterboard.

15. luvmymbpr thread starter macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

When you say continue to use... do you mean they continued to use an obviously broken port that needs replacement?

My model is a late 2013 15" MacBook pro retina with nvidia graphics card.