Mbpr video transparent issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hidehide, Jul 9, 2016.

1. hidehide macrumors 6502

I just recently found out when Im watching video, it seems the video is slightly transparent and I can see shade of windows underneath the video.

I at first thought this is the same issue under the replacement program which Apple just extended to Dec 2016. I brought in my mbpr, they ran the test and say the results seems fine. Apparently there is an issue but they can't detect it under the mbpr video issue and the image persistent testing..

They say if I may have to go through a detailed testing and if they found out its the logic board or other issue, it will cost me over USD300-600. And the apple genius suggest me to leave the problem as is if it didn't bother me that much..

I'm quite disappointed with their suggestion and seems my mbpr is like a lemon product.. Did anyone have such issue and did you manage to fix it? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

What version of OS X are you running now?

Have you checked to see if there is any difference after you change some of the settings for screen transparency or contrast in your System Preferences/Accessibility pane?

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

That's image persistence for sure, especially common on the mid 2012 15" rMBPs and I had to deal with it myself (luckily during the warranty period). Unfortunately it has nothing to do with the GPU, rather the display, so that's likely why they're not covering it under the video issues repair extension. If you don't have Applecare you're out of luck.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 9, 2016 ---
    But that does look like it would fail the in-store test. It wouldn't hurt to try a different Apple Store and take the photo above in with you, it's always possible they could decide to cover it. But probably unlikely if you don't have warranty.

4. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

This looks like image persistence to me as well. MY suggestion would be to leave it on one of the OS X screen savers(I use Arabesque) for a full uninterrupted 24 hours(you may have to adjust Energy Saver settings). This might resolve the image persistence issue..

5. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

That's definitely an image persistence issue.

6. hidehide thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm running on El Capitan.. I might try to change the screen transparency settings in the accessibility section.. But I don't think it will help as others who doesnt have such problem have the transparency settings on..

You are exactly on spot. Mine is a 2012 15" rMBP. I might give another apple store a try.. But most likely not going to succeed :(

Does image persistence have the same window shade all the time? Cause if I move the window behind and play the video again, the shade is now the new window.. It's not have the same window shade all the time..

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

This makes it sound like a software issue. Does it happen in other video players? VLC? QuickTime? iTunes?

8. hidehide thread starter macrumors 6502

It does appear in the quick preview, VLC and safari/chrome... I wonder does reinstalling the Mac OS will help.
    Even at the login screen, I see background of windows behind. Is this a feature?

9. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

It's a hardware issue. Reinstalling is not going to help.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've never run into a display that showed image persistence in this way, but if it's showing up in all of those places including the login screen, I agree that it's probably hardware.

On the other hand, if you already have a current back up, an OS reinstall would be a fairly quick way to test.

11. DeltaMac, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016

DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

hmmm...
    Just to ask in a different way -
    If you move a window with a different color (a picture, for example), and play a video, that video immediately shows that change in whatever is in in the background behind the video?

That, my friend, is not image persistence, it is transparency. And, it's a OS feature (which you can minimize in System Preferences), not a hardware issue.

El Capitan shows a (very blurred) desktop background image on the login screen. That's a normal view on the login screen.

Have you just recently upgraded to El Capitan, and maybe never noticed this before?

12. hidehide thread starter macrumors 6502

I just did a test. The results is quite awkward. I just wake my laptop up, answered a message in my IM. Then played a youtube video full screen, I can see the chat window transparency underneath the video. Then, I exit the full screen mode. Tried to move the chat window to another place and replay the video. The chat window shade stayed at the same place. But that window content was just freshly downloaded AFTER i wake the laptop up. So it's not the same image persistently at the same spot.. I tried to reload the webpage, relaunch chrome, but the image at the background is still the same. The issue seems more complicated..