MBPr vs iMac + MBA (or Chromebook)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrmabry, Jan 15, 2015.

1. mrmabry macrumors newbie

Hello everyone -- Right now, I have a Early 2011 MBP and it still works ok, but I've had the graphics problem that a lot of other users have had ($300 to repair, seeing early signs that it's happening again), so I'm looking to make a new purchase next year so that I don't rely so much on this device. I would like to sell this device when I upgrade.

First, this is what I use my computers for: I create music (recording rarely/DAW music production primary), writing/blogging, web design/development, web browsing, video production (mainly editing, but sometimes motion graphics), virtually no gaming whatsoever. I've grown really fond of bringing my laptop everywhere I go, even if it is quite heavy. I love writing/coding in coffee shops or libraries, etc.

I have two options in front of me that I've been considering and I'm just curious other's opinions on the most bang for my buck, really.

I have been really considering finally just getting an iMac and getting the maxed-out version of whatever the current model is (a year from now, I would assume they have an updated model, but lets assume this current model) and simply getting a Chromebook or baseline MBA (I really like OS X).

Other option would just be get the maxed out MBPr (next release) and just use it for everything as I do right now.

Is there anyone out there that sort of did what I am thinking about: moving from MBP to iMac? Was it really that big of a deal not to have the portability option? Just looking for other's opinions/situation I might not have thought about.

2. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Do you want all of your stuff (apps and data) on one machine? If so, go the 15" rMBP route. If not, go the iMac+MBA/13"rMBP route.

Earlier in my college years, I opted for the then-equivalent of the latter option. Now, I'm a fan of keeping my primary computer set-up simplified. That and I really hate how annoying it is to crack open the iMacs to replace the drives and have grown far less tolerant of it now than I was then.

It's sort of a matter of which setup would suit you better.