Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeov

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
Odense
okay

So, waiting for my MacBook Pro Retina to arrive (still like 3 weeks) i'm wondering about how my future gaming setup should be like, and i'm doing some Pros and Cons of wether i should chose a vidock for my Retina, or get a seperate Gaming rig.

So i did a pros and cons list:

Vidock Rig VS. PC Rig

VIDOCK:

Vidock Pros:

Mobile Gaming
Everything on same computer
Most likely cheaper than a full gaming Rig

Vidock Cons:

Not very upgradeable
Might be annoying to set up every time i want to play games?
I will have all sorts of docks and cables i have to sort out.
Might have some heat issues, not sure about this.

Price: (Danish Prices*)

Sonnet Echo (Thunderbolt Adapter) 966
Thunderbolt Cable 379
ViDock PCIE eGPU Box 1586
GTX 680 3900
1TB USB 3.0 HDD 829
USB soundcard 269

GAMING PC RIG:

Gaming Rig Pros:

Availability for SLI
Great airflow
Better CPU performance
More Harddrive / SSD availablility
Easier to upgrade in the future.
Higher Performance
Better drivers
Overclocking

Gaming Rig Cons:

Less mobility
Will cost more
Might run into more problems (i've had problems with pcs in the past)

Price:

Storm Scout Cooler Master 650
i7-3770k CPU 2400
Motherboard 1700
GTX 680 3900
PSU 950W 1100
12GB RAM 850
2TB HDD 850

now don't really think that much about the prices i converted into dollars, i know they might seem higher than you'd might think, but thats because everything in Denmark is really expensive.

The reason i'm actually considering the vidock solution is because i play a lot at friends houses and such at sundays for example, it would be great to have a portable high-end gaming system with me.

But i'm also thinking about the possibility of having a SLI configuration somewhere in the future, and thats not possible (from what i know) in a ViDock solution yet.

So, i'm almost 50% split here to what i think i should do, so i'm making this thread to hear you guys out.

i can tell you right now that i think the gaming rig is probably the best solution, it seems like the ViDock is not really a "solid" product yet, people aren't really sure if it works properly and theres not really any feedback of the product yet (only a few facebook messages and a youtube video)

but as i mentioned, this is a future setup, and i'm sure there will be thunderbolt solutions in the future!

Hope you guys can help !

Last edited:

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
Gaming rig=better bang for the buck.

What games are you planning on playing, because even a $500 machine can do great.

Plus you wouldn't/shouldn't have any problems if you are building a PC. A custom system will not have any pre-loaded.junk that store-bought machines have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.