MBPR- Who said it doesn't get hot? and other topics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by starstreak, Jun 19, 2012.

1. starstreak macrumors 6502

I finally got it in the mail today. i7 2.7Ghz/8GB ram.
    This isn't meant to be a flame to the MBPR, just just giving warning to those that read the laptop is cool to the touch.
    but the moment you run anything with the Nvidia GPU for more than a few mins, you can feel the heat. Case in point, running Diablo III. Let it run for 10mins and now its as hot as the old MBP I had from years past. And the fan will be spinning at top speed. You can early hear it from normal distance.
    Palm rests of course doesn't get hot.
    When the unit dumps heat, make sure you're not blocking the vents. Don't touch anywhere near the rear vents. It does get HOT. :)

So far besides that, it seems to be working fine. I haven't used a mac constantly for a few years so I'm still relearning how it works. I still can't stand not knowing if the computer is in sleep or off state.

And using a PC laptop for so long, it's hard to get used to a pad without buttons.

2. infernohellion macrumors 6502

Thanks for the heads up.

I don't really mind it being so hot as long as the palm rests aren't as hot as my existing early 2009 17" MBP! Have to constantly wipe out my sweat from it every now and then all the time!

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Where is the difference. The MBP has that pulsing white led, Windows notebooks have led indicators too usually they blink or are constantly on. In my experience there is absolutely no difference. You know with either if they are on standby or off.

4. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

The RMBP doesn't have the white standby LED. I don't even know if the legacy 2012 MBPs have them anymore.

5. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

I think Apple's trying to promote an idea that "asleep" is just as good as "shut down" - just like on the iPad and iPhone. How many of you shut down your iPad every time you're done with it?