MBpro 13" odd one - Apple Remote!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DarkVinda, Feb 19, 2011.

1. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

This is the official apple link for the 2010 13" Macbook Pro's

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP583

I got mine on the 5th of Feb 2011 (oh happy days), and i had gone from a bruised and battered 15" late 2008 MBP.

the only thing that bothered me more than anything was the lack of remote support everywhere i've looked including apple's link states nothing about an IR port.

Last night i went and TREATED myself to an appletv MK2 got that setup and watched my first film.

Its only when i went back to my mac with my remote that i noticed FRONT ROW had started...

Pointed my shiny remote at the mac and hey presto it WORKS!!!

Normally i'd have packed the tv2 up and took it back swapped it for something else and got a hengedock - but alas i have 4 daughters (2 know not to touch daddy's shiny mac)

but i have a toddler that thinks its a good idea to put dvd's in the wii the wrong way round etc...so having a dock isnt practical and there is no way i'm leaving my mac under the telly for her to play with.

I wonder why on apple's own support page and specs page it doesnt mention REMOTE support!!!

Vinda

2. mdgm macrumors 6502a

They used to advertise remote support, even include a free one with some Macs.

If you want to disable the remote you can go to System Preferences > Security and check "Disable remote control infrared receiver".

3. DarkVinda thread starter macrumors regular

DarkVinda

that makes sense - i dont wanna disable it just thought that it was odd apple doesnt have it on the specs...

like i said i went from a 15" late 2008 with it on to a 2010 13" without it, and this was one of the thing i thought damn i might actually miss that...!

i dont miss the screen size as im currently moving end of march so will end up with a nice 23" monitor and i already have a minidport to hdmi and a nice amp with optical all ready to go - Just gotta find the right desk now :D

Cheers for letting me know that they shipped it with some macs :D www.ebay.co.uk here i come :D

4. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I`d only just bought the white remote when they went and released the much nicer aluminum one :(

5. haruhiko, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

The white remote is from the old age of white plastic macs, which seems to be the last one to be integrated in the current aluminium unibody design scheme in Apple products. While design is just a personal preference, I hate the fact that its battery cannot be changed nor recharged, I got one with my 2008 iMac but it's still working now, so it's more or less a non-issue. I got a new aluminium remote with my purchase of Apple TV though.

6. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I wasn`t aware that the battery couldn`t be replaced. I always assumed it took watch-type batteries and you could just pop it open...

7. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The battery can be replaced. On the white remote there is a little pushpin to release the battery.

8. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

9. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Oh how could I overlook that for 3 years! Thanks dan5.5 for correcting me!