MBPro 15" 2016tb vs 15" mid 2015 - trackpad click sound

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bcrawfo2, Dec 15, 2016.

1. bcrawfo2 macrumors member

Trivial question, but hopefully I'll get some valid feedback.
    I just got my new 15" 2016 with touchbar and I notice a different sound when I click on the trackpad compared to me 2015 model. My new laptop makes "tink" sound compared to a more solid, "thunk". I'm guessing it's due to the decreased thickness, and not a flaw. Just want to make sure.

Thanks

2. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I don't have a 2015 model, but the trackpad on my 15" 2016 computer makes a "tink" sound.

3. Scary Spice macrumors regular

Scary Spice

"You're clicking it wrong!"

4. geachy92 macrumors regular

The 2016 MBPs don't have the option of a 'silent click' so always have a small artificial 'tink' sound. 2015 MBP have the option for a 'silent click' where you don't get artificial speaker noise, but rather just the 'thunk' of the haptic engine physically moving.

At least, that's my understanding, it depends what your settings were on the 2015 MBP. It might just be a different sound.

5. bcrawfo2 thread starter macrumors member

Even with silent click disabled, the clicks are very different. It's odd that if they're artificial, why are they so different. Just wanted to make sure I didn't get one with a bad haptic engine or something. My "tink" sounds common.

6. geachy92 macrumors regular

I'm not sure then. It does seem odd that it's been changed, but I think it's how the 2016s are designed. I would prefer it to send less 'cheap' and tinky and more thunky but not much we can do, it seems.

7. dan9700 macrumors 65816

dan9700

The click is horrible and shallow my 2015 was a nice click and silent clicking was AMAZING now the 2016 is horrible sound and no way to turn it off, Apple is really doing my head in

8. Scary Spice macrumors regular

Scary Spice

Jonny Ive wanted the sound to be only the essence of click. Nothing more.

It is the best click apple has ever made.