MBPro 15-inch 2.4GHz with ACD 23-inch Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bcegi, Oct 29, 2007.

1. bcegi macrumors member

I am going to be placing an order for a MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.4 GHz with an Apple Cinema Display HD 23-inch for the office. Who else has this similar setup and do you recommend it.

Initially, I was going to get the MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.2 GHz but was concerned with the 128MB in Graphics Memory driving the 23-inch ACD. I will be running OS X / Windows on a daily basis and with Spaces, I have found the multi-tasking increase 10 fold.

Any experiences using this setup is appreciated. Thanks.

2. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

get a MBP 17" and pay for the extra resolution so you can put out 1920X1600 and THEN get a 23" ACD that also puts out 1920X1600. That is the best setup.

It sucks when you resize things to look good on your monitor just to unplug it when you go somwhere and everything is too big on your MBP and then you have to resize it. Then you plug back in your ACD and it is too small, and have to resize. Repeat.

This will be my next setup.

The Stig

3. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

I have it currently, and it is delicious :)

Though I may soon be doing the exact setup the OP mentioned.

4. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

I have that setup and it's wonderful. I got the MBP to travel with, and as my trips are intermittent it's so far been used as a desktop replacement with the 23" ACD. You can't go wrong with that combo. :D

5. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Wowza. It's a shame there isn't a hi-res option on the 15" as I would love it to match the ACD (20") I have at home. Currently, all the apps need resizing when working on the teeny MacBook.

6. Hydramus macrumors member

I've been considering this exact set up too. I currently have the 2.4GHz 15" and am saving up for an ACD. I'm not sure on size though, ever since seeing the 30" at a store i've been lusting for one! I compared it with the 23" and it looked a bit small to me:confused:. I think i will end up getting the 30" since i do a lot of photo work but 23" maybe enough for most people.

I've tried using an external monitor with the MBP plus a keyboard and mouse and i would definitely recommend it if you will be siting at a desk for long periods. Sitting up close to the laptop and looking down at a smallish screen can be tiring after a while so go for it:)!

7. schreck macrumors regular

I apologize for being rather picky, but just to clear things up: the resolution on both is 1920x1200.