MBPro 15" late 2011 too damn slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Giuanniello, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Giuanniello macrumors regular

Giuanniello

Ok, I know, it's not a brand new sparkling fast one but, still, 2.2Ghz quad core i7 and 16GB memory, yes, slow old tech 500GB hard drive (waiting for 1TB SSD to drop a little more and then switch), it takes ages to load applications, not much starts at the login but, still, it is unbelievable slow, compared to the poor 11" MBAir 2012 with a mere 128HD SSD and 4GB RAM it seems a turtle, I checked with activity monitor and there is nothing sucking computing power, loads of RAM available, I did start in recovery mode and used the (wow!) updated Disk Utility to check the hard drive and it all seems to be fine, what the h*ll can I do to speed it up a bit whilst I can switch to solid state drive? Oh, by the way, over 70GB of free space available to swap just in case, OS is at its latest iteration and also checked the library folder for startup items but there is nothing sucking either cpu power or memory, I am quite disheartened...

Help please!!!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your original hard drive's nearing 5 years old. My guess is that it's dying. They tend to slow everything to a crawl before croaking when they don't simply catastrophically fail. Keep a good backup handy.

3. ljjycss macrumors member

ljjycss

HDD is the cause. Loading and launching time can be reduced to almost none with a fast SSD. Quad core sandy bridge is still a quite powerful processor. HD3000 is old and a lot less powerful than current iris pro, but it can drive low resolution screen pretty well. Get yourself a ssd and I am sure you will fall in love with your mbp again.

4. lostnomore macrumors newbie

The hard drive was definitely my problem, as you can read about in this thread. Disk Utility didn't give me any indication that the old drive was dying, so if your RAM is fine then it's more than likely your HD. But by all means, I second the motion for you to get a solid-state drive.

5. PTLove macrumors 6502

Its all your HDD. People are su used to SSD's these days they forget just how much of an improvement they really were.

6. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

This. I've seen it happen time and time again. My suggestion is to get a good backup ASAP, and pull the trigger on the SSD.

7. iKaushal macrumors 6502

iKaushal

I have the same configuration laptop and upgrading to a 500 GB SSD has made my laptop faster then the current models ....!!

8. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

Buy a new HDD and fresh install. My 2010 runs like a champ

9. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

Starting from Mavericks, the OS favours SSDs. That may be another contributing factor to the slow and dying HDD. 1TB SSDs are going for $200 recently -- I think it won't drop much farther in the very near future. Go ahead and get one. :)

10. austintg macrumors member

austintg

SSD's are so cheap now, crucial has plenty of options and start fresh on your install it will be good as new.

11. Giuanniello thread starter macrumors regular

Giuanniello

At least here in Italy for a 1TB SSD it still takes just a little less than 300, they dropped almost 10% since xmas, I have other priorities now and have to still wait, maybe in the meantime another little drop and I'll pull for a 1TB so I have no storage problems and can squeeze again the power out of the old machine.

Thank you

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Step back from Yosemite & El Capitan, OS X is now so poorly optimised that a fast SSD is a necessity, in comparison Windows 10 flies, even on very low level hardware. Reverting to Mavericks will restore the lost performance. If you want to remain on 10.11, an SSD is the only realistic solution.

Q-6

13. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

SSD is a must. Makes loading much faster. Plus old HDDs do tend to slow down before failure.

14. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular