MBPro 17" 2006 screen connection cable issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Giuanniello, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Giuanniello macrumors regular

Giuanniello

Hi all,
    my 2006 17" MBP started to play a weird joke to me, half of the screen becomes yellow and the other half works fine, if I apply pressure with my fingers on the bottom left/right corner of the screen all gets fine again but, obviously, can't use it that way; I tried to connect an external screen to it (another post opened since the rear foot stand of my cinema display broke and am looking for a replacement part) and it works perfectly so no issue with the logic board, I opened the whole thing and found out two cables from the mainboard running to the screen, one is a signal cable and the other, I guess, goes to the webcam and so on; do you think by replacing the cable I could solve the problem? Did any of you experience the same problem?

thank you

Giovanni

2. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

You should definitely try to replace the cable, because
    the cost of cable is a lot lower than the cost of screen replacement.
    Lookup the part number and search, should be ~$30 on eBay or cheaper.

The cost of screen replacement could be as high as half of the initial cost of your computer,
    so it would be more efficient to buy a new MBP.

3. Giuanniello thread starter macrumors regular

Giuanniello

The cable part is 593-0262 revA from foxconnex, there are some on ebay but the shipping is expensive since most of them are on US ebay and I live in Italy, yep, I guess I will give it a try, I think it might be the hinges of the screen which are damaging the cables, I remember the issue with that computer being it used to use the same hinges of the 15" MBP but the screen is quite bigger and heavier so the hinges have to carry a load they are not up to...

Thank you