MBPro 2.2 vs 2.4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RussellMarc, Feb 10, 2008.

1. RussellMarc macrumors newbie

After years of using PCs I'm finally going Mac. I'm trying to decide between the MBP 2.2 or 2.4. I will be doing some video editing using Final Cut Express. Video editing not my livelyhood...I'm a hobbyist. I know the 2.4 will be faster...but how much faster? At my level of editing, how much of a difference will the better processor and graphics card really make?

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

There isnt that much of a difference. The faster GPU is about a 5-10% difference.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

This. Not worth the half grand price hike.

4. tbeahrs macrumors newbie

I think...

You'd be better off spending your $$ on a hard drive upgrade and some 3rd party RAM. About the same price and those would be more noticeable improvements.

5. RussellMarc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

Perfect. I apprecitate the feedback. 2.2 it is.

6. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i'm going for the 2.2 as well. and spend the rest of my money for RAM upgrades.. and probably an external HD to go with it! can't wait for tuesday people!

7. 3247 macrumors regular

As others said, the difference in CPU speed is not that relevant.

However, the 2.4 model also has 256 MiB graphics RAM, whereas the 2.2 model is limited to 128 MiB. This can soon become very relevant when you want to play games; especially if you want to use Bootcamp to play Windows games.

Claus

8. pdechavez macrumors regular

Im getting a 2.2as well if the new updated ones dont come tomorrow. Ive been waiting too long and ive done all the research. I'd rather save the cash for an HDD upgrade. I am gonna play occasional games but still, 2.2GHZ is good.

9. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007