MBPro.....4 cores = 8 threads?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IceMacMac, Mar 10, 2011.

1. IceMacMac macrumors 6502

I know my Nehalem Mac Pro 2009 has 8 core...which programs like c4d and AE see as 16 threads (a virtual cpu).

So will these same programs see the 2011 MBPros as having 8 threads?

2. endless17 macrumors member

3. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

Yes, there are 4 physical cores with 8 threads on the Core i7 processors found in the new 2011 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pros.

4. DudeMartin macrumors regular

The i-series processors have HyperThreading technology which allows 2 threads to run in parallel on a single core, so in other words, 2 threads per core - so yes, quad core MBPs will actually have 8 threads. However HyperThreading is enabled only when your computer has some strain put on it (big programs running).

5. IceMacMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Holy Crap... this forum rocks! 3 answers in less than 5 minutes. And I like the answer.

so how would a cinebench test compare to one of the new MBPros with say a topped out Mac Pro 2008?

6. IceMacMac thread starter macrumors 6502

I can justify upgrading my laptop if at night the same machine can show some muscle on new rendering of 3d jobs.

At least that's my rationalization to upgrade! ;)

7. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Lots of good people in this forum.

8. IceMacMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes indeed! I've been hanging out here a lot lately.

Regarding my use of a MBPro...I'm wondering if I'd realistically need to feed the 8 threads a full 16 GIG of RAM to render out HD frames in c4d.

My 2008 MacPro and 2009 MacPro both have 32 GIGs. It's hard for me to imagine that 8 would be enough.

9. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

That's some serious horsepower in your MacPro's. If your use is that RAM intensive, I would think that going to 8 gigs is going to be a pretty big hit in performance.

10. superericla macrumors 6502

He could always buy 16 gigs of ram for the macbook pro but it would cost quite a hefty sum.

11. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

I thought that the MBP only supported 8 gigs?

12. superericla macrumors 6502

The new ones have been tested and have been shown to support up to 16 gigs. OWC sells 16 gig sets of ram for the new macbook pros. It'll set you back over $1,000 though.

13. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

The number of maximum threads on any CPU will be double the core count. So if there is HT, threads = Cores x 2

14. IceMacMac thread starter macrumors 6502

I won't be using the new mbpro for authoring. It will be used for
    1. Occasionally for work while on the road
    2. Client presentations
    3. Sofa Web browsing
    4. At night as a render client (that's where the cpu beef comes in)

It's #4 where I wonder about the RAM.

I just ordered one 10 minutes ago. But now I have to decide how much third party RAM to buy.

15. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Did you order it with the 4 gigs from Apple so you can upgrade it cheaper yourself?

16. IceMacMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, super, That's what I'm looking at...I'll go with 8GB for now and see. I might need to bite the bullet and bump it to 16GB. Hopefully in 3-4 months those 8GB chip prices will drop a lot.

17. IceMacMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. But I also bought the 8GB upgrade kit from OWC...it was only $112. I'll give it a spin for a few months. Maybe that will be all I need.

18. IceMacMac thread starter macrumors 6502

I never thought I'd be buying a new laptop so soon.

But when I realized that a laptop could approximate the rendering performance of buying another 8 core 2008 mac pro....wow.

It has changed the math. I'm getting one solution for my day-time needs and another solution for my over-night needs.

19. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

20. IceMacMac thread starter macrumors 6502

This isn't a desktop replacement. I didn't want the extra weight.

21. Jaimi macrumors regular

Not really - you still only have 4 cores. It's just that Hyperthreading makes it easier for the core to switch thread contexts (by having duplicate portions of the CPU to hold thread state). Sometimes hyperthreading is a hindrance (for example, when running SQL server, you can get bad optimization from the query optimizer).
    This is probably better for something that is pulling threads from a thread pool for execution (fire and forget), but when you are doing something that actually uses all 4 cores, it can lead to suboptimization. For example - if you are encoding video, you won't gain any speed going from 4 to 8 concurrent threads unless you have IO wait states.

22. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

Just to clarify, while 8 threads can run, Hyperthreading does not mean a 1:1 ratio for threads to cores. So two threads can run on one core, but the performance is not the same as if you had 8 physical cores.

Head over to Intel's site if you want to read more on Hyperthreading. It's quite interesting how they make it work.