MBPro - Buying decision [2xDual-DVI, SSD, Windows7, 24/7, wait?,...]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Liot, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Liot macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    nice board you have here. I'm thinking about getting a MB Pro for bussines purpose.

I still have some questions left and would appreciate it if you can answer.

I need to have it run 24/7 most of the time in Windows7 on 2x30" Dell Dual-DVI and I'm taking it with me for traveling and use the Screens at home.
    - How can I run both screens with it?
    - How is Windows7 working on the MB Pro? Is the installation the same?
    - Should I use 64bit and will this work fine?
    - Will this long working make it very hot and loud?
    - Is it possible to close it while running without shutting down?

I'm importing lots of data in databases and having run many tools and online applications with 2d-Graphics on both screens.
    - Is 8GB RAM a must have then? Can it adress 8GB and can Windows7 use it?
    - How good are the SSDs?
    - Or is it better to buy it your own and assemble yourself?
    - How should I handle the CPU upgrade? Is it a big difference?

- Any problems known with usb-hubs?
    - Are there maybe any docks for my purposes?

Last but not least, can you expect any major changes for an update (e.g. Blueray isnt one which would be important I guess)? I've heard in January should be one?
    Are there any vouchers outside for the Apple Stores etc.?

Probably you will think for some questions only myself can answer this, e.g. RAM, CPU but obviously I need some experiences of you so I really appreciate your time :)

That's it, thank you.

2. mouthster macrumors regular

Based on your requirement of running Windows 7 24/7 and driving two DVI monitors I'm hard pressed to recommend an Apple laptop.

A Dell Precision laptop with a Dell docking station might suit your needs better.

3. Liot thread starter macrumors newbie

Why you think so? I might look into this.

http://www.villagetronic.com/vidock/buynow.html
    I've found a dock which sounds quite nice but its not really Cheap.
    Are there any other solutions like the Matrox Dual Head? (I think the problem might be that it doesnt make seperate screens only streched ones?

4. mouthster macrumors regular

Why waste all this money on a Mac solution for Windows development?

You can buy a Dell pre-loaded with Windows 7, 8 gigs of ram and SSD and a display dock for a lot less then it will cost you to outfit a Macbook Pro to run Windows 7 and drive two displays.

I'm a fan of Macbook Pro's and have one myself, but you yourself have stated that you need a 24/7 Windows 7 machine.

5. thomas998 macrumors newbie

I wouldn't recommend you get an MBP for two reasons. 1. You plan on running it 24/7 as if it were a desktop, I ran mine quite a bit (not 24/7) hooked up as a desktop using an external monitor and the heat from the MBP damaged the laptop's lcd screen.... so I can't recommend it for desktop like usage. 2. You are paying a premium for an Apple so you can run their operating system, if you are going to be running Windows 7 then why would you want to pay more for an operating system you wouldn't be using.

As for the other question is you are dead set on a MBP... you can run two screens on it if you connect it to a external monitor and then you use the the laptop monitor as the other screen, that's the only easy way to run two screens on it.

I don't know about running windows 7, I've only heard that it works.

The MBP will get pretty hot, the fans aren't that loud, but heat could be a problem.

You can set it up in windows xp to keep running while the lid is closed, I assume it would work that way with windows 7.

The other questions are too specific and not detailed enough to give a reasonable answer to... I can say that Apples are updated and upgraded on a fairly constant cycle.

6. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Dude, you need a Dell. Windows nearly 24/7 on a Mac is useless. Apple's attempt at drivers is half assed at best making for an uncomfortable experience. 2 3008WFPs are nearly impossible to run on a MacBook Pro. Its nearly impossible on any notebook. I would suggest a desktop actually and maybe a MBP on the side.

7. mouthster macrumors regular

Actually the Dell E-port dock's have no problem driving two 3008WFP's, we have a developer here running that very setup with a Dell Precision laptop, which is why I recommended it to the OP.

8. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

I never said it was impossible, nearly is what I stated. I was hinting at a Matrox solution personally.

9. Liot thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you guys. it really looks that its not a good idea to use the macbook for desktop/travel use if it gets that hot.

the price seems like the same tho.
    A MBP: 8gb, 256ssd, antiglare, + vidock (2 30" 2560*1900)
    is cheaper or at least about the same than an Alienware (Dell) with 8gb and ssd drive (Without dock). The alienware has a better CPU tho. I haven't found any other comparable dells which should be able to run the screens. Seems like I'm kinda lost here now.
    If the Mac is about the same in price and not a big difference in performance I kinda would like to prefer it because it seems to have the better cells, case etc. but on the other hand if it gets so hot. :mad:

10. mouthster macrumors regular

Alienware's are expensive high-end gaming laptops.

These can run your monitors with a dock.

http://www.dell.com/business/laptops?~ck=mn#subcats=precn_m&navla=&a=

11. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Honestly look at the dell precision M6400. Magnesium body, 1920x1200 15" Led screen, SSD, up to 16gb of ram. It's not a thing of beauty but it's built like a tank and it's a very solid windows computer. A couple of windows freaks at the office have it and if I were for a High Quality Windows laptop that would be my choise.

Windows on a mac either through bootcamp or virtualisation is a temporarary solution for the times you really need it. I use Win 7 and Office 2007 daily without a problem. But if that's the OS you'll be using all the time, go for a Dell, Thinkpad or HP Elite book. Not all PC laptops are cheap plastic crap. ;)

12. Liot thread starter macrumors newbie

it really looks like it makes no sense to buy a macbook.
    what a pitty tho.
    i will go for a dell then. thank you for your honest help in here :)