mbpro charger plug for alternate sockets

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zoran, Aug 31, 2013.

  1. zoran macrumors 68030

    Jun 30, 2005
    My macbook pros charger has the english version socket plug (with the three plugs). I want to purchase the version with the two plugs thats used in other countries in Europe. Can this be purchased as a part and if so whats it called so i can look or it on ebay?
  2. Giuly, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013

    Giuly macrumors 68040


    You can also use those from the old iPhone/iPad chargers, if you happen to have one. eBay gives you about a bag full of 'em for a dollar. Just look for "Apple EU plug", however be aware that something like this is dangerous:

    There's to little insulation on the pins.

    Personally, I'd try to find a deal on the genuine "Apple World Travel Adapter Kit", it comes with all adapters necessary to work in North America & Japan (2x), China, the United Kingdom, Continental Europe (2x), Korea, Australia and Hong Kong, plus an iPhone charger and an USB cable with a 30-pin Dock connector.
  3. theluggage macrumors 68040

    Jul 29, 2011
    Cheapskate hint:

    Just get a generic European mains to IEC C7 "figure of 8" lead like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Euro-Figure-Mains-Power-Cable/dp/B0034Z8SMU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2

    ...these work fine with Mac and iPad adapters, and also work with some other chargers & adapters. They just look less elegant. I also use US-to-IEC C7 leads.

    A lot cheaper than Apple-style options and you can get them almost anywhere. I already had a couple that had come with other electrical gadgets.

    Edit: I prefer to use a lead - the flimsy Euro and (particularly*) US plugs aren't really up to supporting the weight of a charger.

    *Why the US have huge chunky domestic appliances that look like they should run on three-phase & then plug them in with silly little plugs that look more suitable for 12V caravan wiring... I don't know.

Share This Page