MBpro dead screen but ....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weaterneyes, Jul 5, 2008.

1. weaterneyes macrumors newbie

Hello, I have recently suffered the dreaded dead screen on my 2.4 SR refurb (4mths old), all the latest software. It occurred after I left it in sleep mode for a couple of days and the battery probably drained. Disc activity is audible and I applied some of the advice detailed in this thread

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1478474&tstart=0

Some of the things I have done are
    -deleted the sleepimage file
    -deleted the mkext file
    -done a power reset (battery removed and pressed power button for 10 seconds)

Now my screen is still "dead" BUT I can just make out all the finder menu items. They are very faint and the screen has to be turned towards window light to make them out. Its as if the backlighting LED has died but some how there is some latent illumination still available.
    Probably not related is that my machine got extremely hot while browsing in target disc mode. Seems strange why this would happen.
    I have been on to apple care and got there stock "bring it to your nearest apple stockist". I'd prefer to leave that as a last resort as it would probably entail a lengthy absence.

So before I go on that route I was just wondering if the above symptoms are the result of something simpler that I have overlooked. Any help would be really appreciated.
    Thanking you in advance.
    Regards Pat

2. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I don't get the sense that you overlooked anything. You obviously have a big problem here. The sooner you get it into the shop, the faster u get it back working correctly again.

3. weaterneyes thread starter macrumors newbie

Foresooth, your answer makes me sad (sorry to get Shakespearian but tis tragic).

Thank you for your quick reply