MBPro - Disk Utility Can't Repair, Backup Files?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dk6034, Nov 17, 2010.

1. dk6034 macrumors newbie

After getting grey screen with flashing ? inside file folder, I inserted my Operating Disk in CD drive, was able to get to the purple screen and choose Utilities. I ran Verify Disk and rec'd this msg: "Invalid B-tree Node Size. The volume could not be verified completely. Error: the disk needs to be repaired."

Upon running Disk Utility after a few minutes, I rec'd a popup box saying, "Disk Utility stopped repairing disk0s2. Disk Utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files."

My question is: How do I Backup Files if the HDD isn't working? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

Need more info on the MBP model to be sure, but assuming its a model with firewire. Use target disk mode, start up the faulty computer while pressing the "t" key. This turns the machine into a kind of external HD drive, and by connecting the machine by firewire cable to another Mac, you may be able to get your important files backed up.
    You should try running Disk Warrior on the drive too. It is not free, but well worth the cost. It is absolutely the best repair utility on the market (usual disclaimers here, just another satisfied customer). And most likely it will get you back up and running.
    You can purchase it on-line and have the DVD sent to you later.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

gee wiss this happened to my external too.
    problem is I have nowhere to back it up to, I have 1.4TB of files on there!....