MBPro found a home

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deadpixels, Apr 15, 2007.

1. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

at my place :D here's a pic [​IMG]

only problem is this [​IMG]
    should i try to get it fixed? i guess they wil have to replace the bottom or should i just wait and see if it gets worse??

2. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

get it fixed. that would drive me nuts. is it new?

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I'd get it fixed. I doubt it will get worse, but it's obvious and annoying (to me).

4. guitarmaster18 macrumors regular

guitarmaster18

Yeah, get it fixed. That would annoy me to death.

5. deadpixels thread starter macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

just got it, it's refurbished, looks new. it doesnt drive me nuts though. i guess i will call apple to at least get it logged so they won't say that i have something to do with it :D

6. bgerber macrumors newbie

Good Luck !!

This is a rant. I am not focusing on deadpixels who just posted the photos of the newly refurbished MBP. I wish you well as you deal with Apple. But give me a break!

How can we be so infatuated with these products? This person, and countless others here, have paid serious money for a fine product but got this kind of shoddy workmanship instead. One needs to only spend a brief time in this forum to realize that what happened in this case happens as well in the case of new purchases.

Is this some sort of a bad joke? This feels like the 1984 Super bowl Mac ad except that we are the chalky looking zombies sitting in the audience.

To be specific, I am a recent switcher, drawn to the famous style, power, and quality of Apple computers. I have a new 24in iMac for my business that I absolutely love. I also understand and appreciate the extraordinary design achievement of the MacPro. Kudos to Apple for what they announced today at NAB.

Now I want to replace my aging Sony VAIO laptop with an equally great Apple laptop computer. The trouble is that there don’t seem to be any equally great Apple laptop computers – just MBs with cracking cases and swelling/burning batteries along with MBP’s with flawed displays, swelling (and exploding?) batteries, and structurally-flawed warped cases.

I really do get the concept that bad news can disproportionately dominate this forum. Yet, the same recurring complaints appear on the Apple support forums. My two conclusions: 1) No one at APPLE cares enough to do something about these complaints, and 2) THIS STUFF IS CRAP – an affront to the Apple brand reputation and a rip-off for those who, like lemmings, keep coming back to pay for more of the latest Apple kool-aid.

I remember a sinking feeling at the end of MacWorld when Jobs announced the end of Apple COMPUTER. My God, I thought, I have finally switched to the best in computers just in time for them to give up on the design and manufacture of any portable computing device that is too big to put in my pocket.

I have a cell phone already, thank you. I also have an iPod that I love. What I want is a portable laptop that is elegant, reliable, attractive, and fun to use. Having read the posts here for the last few weeks, I am off to check on the latest Sony VAIO models. I guess I will have to settle for another dumb Windows laptop unless/until Apple decides to reenter the laptop market in a serious way. I may check back after WWDC, or maybe not.

7. polevault139 macrumors 6502

All I have to say is that if everyone posted a new thread about how awesome and flawless their new MB/MBP was there would be so much overflow it would be crazy. I'm just saying people come here for advice about their problems, not to say how perfect their new computer is.

8. zarr112 macrumors newbie

Same issue here.

Just dropped my Macbook Pro off at the local Apple store for the same issue. Spoke to the manager, and he stated they will go ahead and change the bottom case; however, he cannot guarantee that it will fix the problem. :confused: They will also be changing the top case due to a "sinking" power button.

9. PDE macrumors 68020

Had this happen with several computers out of the box at the applestore. The apple rep I spoke to there said that they're all like that. I showed her that they were not and she replied that 'variations exist and it's within spec', to which said ******** and asked for a replacement which the manager reluctantly approved wiuth the caveat that if the same thing occurred again I would not be able to get a new one. This is OBVIOUSLY not part of the design so to say it's within spec is ludicrous.

Apple has slipped completely!

10. PDE macrumors 68020

If you put any weight right on top of that area, it will bulge out even more, it may even just pop out. Try it and then return it!

11. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Nice buy! If you don't mind me asking, how much was it refurb'd?

Good luck with the case problem, I would deffinetly get that fixed.

12. k2k koos macrumors 6502a

k2k koos

Apple's service has traditionally been lackluster at best, for that they need spanking!
    However, I don't think our complaints will go un noticed, I bet that this kind of reports do worry the company, and the next design will probably have a lot of attention paid to these issues.
    Don't forget that especially in the case of the MBP, we are still using a (heavily modified) case that was introduced with the Alu PB G4.
    It's now slightly thinner, and packs more punch, there has to be a tradeoff somewhere, material thickness perhaps, which would explain the easy bending and bulging we see... :apple:

13. PDE macrumors 68020

My opinion is that if Apple can't design a laptop that is rigid and suitable for portable use with aluminum, then they really should have chosen another kind of material. Simple as that. Why should we make excuses for them? Or, why didn't they leave the mbp the same thickness as the older powerbooks that didn't have these problems (heat, bulging, flexing etc)? We're talking a fraction of an inch!

Sorry, but I just don't see the reasoning.

14. uNext macrumors 6502

15. himansk macrumors regular

guys, i switched to a MBP revA for almost a year now, and it is flawless. I was hoping secretly to have some problem so that i could get it replaced for a new one but so far no problems at all. I have opened it once to upgrade the HDD and still no problems. the case does get a bit warm when put to serious use, but with the fan controller remains in the comfort zone. i have read lots of horror stories of shoddy manufacturing or crappy customer service but there are many people who are more than satisfied with their macs, but they dont have any reasons to come on the forums to state this. this can be seen on the apple forums as well, more complainers than happy customers. this will happen with other manufacturers as well so i think its hard to judge apple on the complaints only. every mass produced product is bound have problems, but not everybody who buys it has a problem.

16. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

Congrats... This machine is awesome.

I've got a minor problem as well. I don't have the time to call Apple and ask for repair.

Enjoy your new toy.

17. Lord Flashheart macrumors regular

Lord Flashheart

18. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

My powerbook had the same defect. Luckily the MBP is ok. I think it happens when someone one him line decides that they beed to re open the computer for what ever reason, anyway there is a metal latch that is by the right palm rest, even some Apple people assume that the latch is well, by the other latch. Pulling on a weak spot with a tweezers will causes the bending.

19. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

It's not hard to fix, it happens sometime when they are putting the top and bottom together. I've created and fix that issues on a coupme MBPs while upgrading the wifi to 802.11n.

20. deadpixels thread starter macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

it's true, if i press my palm on the trackpad right side, it does pop out a bit more :eek:

21. deadpixels thread starter macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

1599 + a bit of tax and shipping, bought by a friend in the states and he shipped it to europe.

22. deadpixels thread starter macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

i jus wanna give an update on my particular problem if some are interested. i went to the local 'authorized' store (am in norway) and they say that because it's refurbished, i've got about 80% chances apple will refuse to fix it. so only 20% that i might get it fixed under warranty :mad:
    so basically apple opened it and fix whatever the problem was when the first buyer returned it, they obviously did a bad job putting back the laptop and it's somewhat suppose to be normal :eek:

23. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

From the apple website...
    It sounds as though Apple says that there's no difference in standards between refurb and new, so if they say no, bitch bitch bitch. :)

I have a mac..it works fine. I have 2 macs, and the only time I ever had a hardware problem was when the fan in my mini would run full speed, but that was directly related to me opening up the mini and swapping out hard drives.

People come to complain, and remember with so many more people having macs, the number of complains is going to rise, while the percentage of complains will probably remain the same.

24. airfang macrumors regular

hey everybody check out my case..

do I need to get it repaired?

asked a genius already, says the case was handmade(omg for real?), so it's quite within spec...

Attached Files:

25. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Haha, that is so ghetto fabulous. That looks like they didn't have a case, and made one in the back room. LOL! :D

P.S. There is no way that I'd accept that.