MBPro keeps restarting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tan from London, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Tan from London macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a MacBook intel pro running 10.4.9. It has 2mb of RAM. The machine keeps restarting. I had this problem before but it lessened – now it has happened 3 times in a space of an hour. Oddly enough, this happens when I am running any Adobe CS suite application. I also have just placed a USB fan which is faced towards the keyboard - more on the left side.

Does anyone have any ideas of what is wrong?

It is still under warranty though I have not taken out the extended warranty as yet but think I will before the year is up.

Thanks

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Might be the 2 MB of RAM you're running. :p

But on a serious note, it could be RAM related, or hardware related. I know (in Windows at least), some programs would cause random restarts. Try unplugging the USB fan to see if it changes anything. How big is the fan? How much power is it drawing?

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I'll second the RAM issue. Does it have Apple RAM, or third-party? I have a Mac Mini (which uses notebook components) with two 1 gig sticks from OWC and had this problem. I traced it to one of the sticks. I'm expecting the replacement from OWC any day now.

4. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Mine was restarting all the time, it is in repair right now, I'll let you know how it turns out but my bet for me is on a faulty airport card.

5. osnizzap macrumors newbie

I happen to be having the same issue with random restarts.
    It usually happens when I leave the computer on, maybe a window or two open (internet), and close the lid to put the computer to sleep.
    I will open it an hour, sometimes 20 minutes later and find it to be at the home sign-in screen or failed attempts to log out of Firefox (or if using Safari, the internet application will have logged out and exited completely).
    It is quite annoying.
    Does anyone know why this happens?

I noticed this happened after I installed Office 2008 (which also mysteriously made my Garageband disappear from my computer).

...Anyone?