MBPro kybd "acting up"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by williemyers, Mar 16, 2016.

1. williemyers macrumors newbie

hi all!
    o.k., I *think* I am probably looking at a new keyboard for my MacBook Pro (late 2011) - or even a new MBPro? - but I thought I would check with you guys first.

my problem is that some of the keys for certain characters seem to cease to respond intermittently...."cease to respond" meaning that I am hitting the keys, but the corresponding characters are not showing up in the app that I'm using. this seems to mostly happen with Mail or TextEdit or Firefox. and it happens with the keys "S, D, F, G, H, J, K, and L". All others are fine.

At first, I was thinking (hoping) that this might be a software-related problem - - perhaps something to do with SpellCheck holding up key entry. But then today, I plugged in my big kybd. from my MacPro and all of those letters worked just fine.

So, again, i suspect that I'm looking at a defective keyboard, but - having failed miserably once at trying to replace one of these kybds myself - I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a possible software-related problem that could cause my MBPro to act up like this?

many thanks

2. illegaloperation macrumors newbie

big deal! I've replaced the keyboard on my Late 2011.

All it takes is a T6 Torx screwdriver, a Phillips screwdriver, two hands, a $25 keyboard from eBay, and 40 minutes of your time.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It may be a swelling battery at that age check immediately and replace if that is the case.

4. Jozone macrumors 6502

I would attempt reseating the flex cable for the KB, it that fails, buy a KB off eBay (or full topcase if you've got the cash).

I've done a gazillion topcases (which will be easier) however KBs are okay too (but do require about 60 more screws to come out).