MBPro late '16 battery care

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I tend to leave the charger plugged in to my notebook and infrequently disconnect it when I move the machine. I have not run the battery down too many times in the past year, since I bought the notebook new. Is this bad for the battery and how does one optimize battery life?

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I tend to leave the charger plugged in to my notebook and infrequently disconnect it when I move the machine. I have not run the battery down too many times in the past year, since I bought the notebook new. Is this bad for the battery and how does one optimize battery life?
I would let it drain down to 20% or so every once in a while at least

Reactions: macmesser

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
The battery needs "exercise".

I'd suggest you disconnect it from charging power at least once a week (or twice).
Let it run down to about 35-40%.
Then re-connect it.

Hang up a note -- "Tuesday is battery day".

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I let it run down completely after forgetting I had the thing unplugged. Would this significantly affect battery performance or longevity?
Nope - not a problem at all.
You'll find a lot of comments on battery life. My family has probably had 10 or so Mac laptops in the past 10 years. One lasted 1000+ cycles (4.5 years - hardly plugged in) before the "Replace Battery" warning came on. Another was about 250 cycles (3.5 years - mostly plugged in). I've asked Apple Geniuses in several stores "How long should these last, and what can be done to make them last a long time?" The answer has always been 3-5 years, and don't keep them plugged in full time. Exercise them once in awhile.

Reactions: macmesser
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.