MBPro new or refurbished

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by budaapple, May 16, 2010.

1. budaapple macrumors regular

I'm a lite user of my Mac basic functions with some photography and video editing and lite webpage layouts and lite product house design. My question is this I like the faster speed and extended battery life of the new models and am eligible for the ed discount. The problem is the refurbished model is only $1299 and the new model is $1699 with ed discount. How do you justify for the latest and greatest. Is that new processor that much quicker? Is that battery life legit? Does it heat up?Will it make an expresso?
    I know this has been rehashed many times here; but not lately
    everyones thoughts please

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Wait couple of weeks and you'll get a free iPod Touch, that should be a deal-breaker. Also, I'd get the new one with hi res screen as that is awesome and great for photos and videos.

What refurb are you talking about? That's also crucial.

3. DCBass macrumors 6502

Perhaps like you I am also waiting for the new MBPs to arrive in the refurbished store. Not sure when it'll happen, but I am expecting about $200 off.

Cheers,

DCBass

4. budaapple thread starter macrumors regular

refurb

The refurb would be the last edition 15" MBP I don't need an ipod touch since I have an iphone but is the chip really that much faster and I know its always smart to buy the latest and greatest since technology changes so rapidly its just I could buy the older and still add applecare and still save dough.
    Tough Call!

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can sell the iTouch for ~150$. Refurbs are not eligible for edu discount nor free iPod so IMO you should get the new one, otherwise your discounts are useless

6. EasyJW macrumors member

get the new one for the speed increases [​IMG] the refurb won't get you an ipod touch which you can sell or any educational discount, plus it's always better to have the latest tech just to keep up with the times

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have always been a big fan of the refurb (which is an individually tested and tried computer, gives excellent value, has almost-up-to-the-minute technology, and which comes with all of Apple's guarantees and warranties), over a new machine, unless there is something utterly compelling which you must have in the new computer.

Cheers