MBPro won't read external HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zansaif, Oct 28, 2011.

1. zansaif macrumors newbie

I'm new here so I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I have a MacBook Pro, running OS X 10.7.2. And my external hard drive is a WD passport that is 1TB. It's been working fine but today I accidentally unplugged it without ejecting it and ever since then it won't seem to work. I get a "NTFS - 3G" error. When I enter Disk Utility it shows my HDD, but I can't Verify it or Repair it.

Here is the error message:

NTFS - 3G

NTFS-3G could not mount /dev/disk1
    at /Volumes/Untitled because the following problem occurred:

Error reading bootsector: Input/output error
    Failed to mount '/dev/rdisk1': Input/output error
    NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
    SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
    then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
    important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
    it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
    /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
    for more details.

Any ideas on what's up?

2. zansaif thread starter macrumors newbie

3. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

If you're using NTFS-3G, then I guess you have it formated in NTFS. It won't be able to be repaired or verified in that format.

You can however connect it to a Windows machine and it should in theory give you the option to fix errors by doing a chkdsk in command prompt, or by going to the disk tools and selecting to check and repair disk errors.

NTFS-3G only lets mac write to the format as far as I know. I don't think it will be able to verify or repair that format type. I could be wrong.

I've had the same issue in the past, and I had to use Windows (sadly) to fix it. I just quite using an NTFS format with mac, and it's been much simpler.

If you need to go between mac and windows, I would suggest Fat32 format. Just remember that it won't handle files larger than 4 GB in size.