MBPs at Micro Center for $999. Good deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lambertjohn, Mar 24, 2018.

1. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

Here in Dallas, Micro Center is blowing out 2017, 13" nTB MacBook Pros for $999 (128GB) and $1199 (256GB). Wondering what you guys think of these prices, especially the $999 for the base 13" MBP. It's a pretty good deal in my opinion, and I might just pick one up for my basic writing needs. Anyway, with these prices, makes me wonder if a newer model is going to be announced on Tuesday. Never seen MBP prices this low before; even the refurbished MBPs are more expensive.

2. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

There will always be newer models around the corner. If the current model looks like it will suit your needs just fine, then I say go for it. You're still getting a brand new machine. Even if the new models came out tomorrow, they wouldn't be sold for these prices. The question becomes, would the new model be worth paying the higher price, even if it is better? If your needs are (and will always be) basic, I say the significant savings outweighs whatever the future may bring.

3. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

I was planning on getting one in May, telling my wife I'd use whatever she was planning to spend on me for my birthday. This deal was too good to pass up. I have a MC about 10 miles away, and a Best Buy about 3. I went to BB and asked them to match the price - they happily did and I came home with my new Mac AND Best Buy reward points. The $999 price is fantastic, IMHO.

4. exogeneity macrumors member

5. Wags, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018

Wags macrumors 6502a

Crazy low price! Just that dang keyboard issue potential. Too bad couldn’t just buy machine and not have to worry about needing AppleCare. Would be great price.

6. Azeroth1 macrumors regular

Just a note from personal experience: They will push their own warranty hard and often. Ignore and get AppleCare. Good luck!

7. lambertjohn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tip! Didn't think of the Best Buy matching thing. There's one about a mile from my house vs. MC, which is about seven miles away. Might just run up to BB and get them to price match MC. Just hope the keyboard lasts for more than $1K worth of use. LOL.

8. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

I say support your local MC. If it wasn’t for them, you wouldn’t have this deal in the first place!

9. lambertjohn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good suggestion. I will!

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, I like MC over BestBuy any day. The knowledge of computers, and technology is great, along with customer support, where as BestBuy has been banning people for returns, not something I would reward with doing business - just me

11. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

As good as the $999 price is -- if you don't absolutely "have to have one right now", I'd hold out until the 2018 models are introduced.

The "keyboard issue" is just too risky (for me) to risk money on a 2017, regardless of the deal.

My opinion only.