MBP's Battery Acting up BIG TIME

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by polycat33, Mar 30, 2008.

1. polycat33 macrumors 6502

My battery has been acting VERY strange over the past week or so. It's an SR MBP I got right after they came out in June last year, so it's not even a year old. I got apple care, and I'm hoping that whatever's going on they'll replace the battery for free, but I'd like to get some input/thoughts.

A few days ago I was playing a game for the first time and the computer suddenly shut down with no warning (I was on battery power). I thought maybe the game was a big battery drain since it was the first time I'd played it, and just plugged in the computer and turned it back on. When it came back the battery reported to be about half charged, which I thought was odd, but I ignored it. The next night it happened again, this time I was pretty sure it had been claiming about half charge when it shut down. I decided it was the perfect time for a calibration, and maybe that was the problem, so I let it sit all night. In the morning it was not reporting any decreased capacity (health of 91% as it had been for a while).

Next day it did it again, and I noted that it was at 55% when I connected it to power and turned it back on, and that night it did it again but had gotten down to 37% before shutting down. I took a screen shot of coconut battery when it shut down at 55%, and it's attached. Coconut battery was reporting the same results as istat nano so I know it's not a coconut battery program problem.

Today I was searching these forums to see if this was a common problem and thought to check the health, and it was suddenly claiming only 32% capacity! I was kinda shocked, though I was also sure something was up with the battery, so I thought maybe the calibration had taken a day or two to kick in. As per a suggestion in a thread I read about a similar problem I reset the pram and when it came back coconut battery reported 63% (this is literally moments later, all I did was reboot and reset pram). I posted screenshots of coco-bat before and after tonights shut down with the really low health and slightly higher but still very bad health.

Any ideas on what's up? Is my battery defective/shot? Applecare will probably give me a new one, right? I'm going into them ASAP.

Attached Files:

2. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thought I should add that I just ran it down again, and when it came back it reported the same 60 something percent health at 59% charge and suddenly the charge went up to 70% so I checked and health had jumped back to 91%! Here are the screenshots right after restart and a few moments later with higher health. SO weird!

Also, I plugged back into power to get the computer to reboot (the second and third times this happened I tried turning it back on without plugging in to see if maybe it was a glitch, but the computer would barely get past the startup noise before shutting off again, so power needs to be attached to turn back on) but once it was rebooted I unplugged again and it's still going now, but it was only charging for a minute so it should have shut down again already. It seems I've tapped back into a bit more charge than the battery was giving me moments ago. This is such random behavior!

Attached Files:

3. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Mine did this.

I was just about to call apple when it went back up to 99% and has since dropped a few %

It went something like:

99 - 98 - 97 - 92 - 83 - 72 - 61 - 65 - 77 - 89 - 95 - 98 - 92... (currently draining!)

53 cycles in.

See what happens, might recover itself :)

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Don't go to the store for this stuff. Call Apple---they replace it easily because they have to pretty much take your word for it.

5. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

I went in to the store, at the time I was there the health was down in the 30's, they gave me a new battery no questions asked. It preferred doing it in person this time since I didn't have to deal with having them ship to me and then me ship back the old one. Plus, I wasn't trying to get one past them or anything, and if the problem wasn't my battery I wanted to be there in person for them to see it. Anyways, with the way it was acting I was pretty sure it was toast, wouldn't even want to give it a chance to resolve on its own, it was too annoying!