Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
The title mostly says it all.

Sometimes switching from Safari to Chrome helps, but often not.

For the longest time I thought it was an issue with my router or slow loading on the server side, but I'm able to load the exact same pages over my network with both my phone and myPad in a fraction of the time it takes my MBP.

Any sugegestions before I take it in to be looked at?

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
If I had to guess I'd say no, as other stuff seems to download fine.

Menumeter show the throughput to be normal with things that aren't web pages.

Is there anyway for me to check that though?

Opstech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
California
I had something similar…..Does all the pictures show on the page or just some of them? I had the problem where only the page would load some of the pictures. An example would be the broken picture icon in the border of the picture. Then sometimes the webpage would only show script. A mac genius told me it’s the DNS and I need to call my provider for them to reset my DSL settings or something like that! I called ATT and told them my issue and they reset all of the settings from the router to their server. Works fine now. I was just pissed that I had to wait for an hour for someone live to help me! Good luck.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Any chance Chrome is interfering with Safari - they aren't necessarily compatible (;)) It might be worth a try to uninstall Chrome and see if Safari operates better. Chrome may be working in the background (or possibly some other app that updates frequently), which would slow your internet connection.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
So so far its just Safari thats giving you the problems?

No, it happens with Chrome also.

----------

I had something similar…..Does all the pictures show on the page or just some of them? I had the problem where only the page would load some of the pictures. An example would be the broken picture icon in the border of the picture. Then sometimes the webpage would only show script. A mac genius told me it’s the DNS and I need to call my provider for them to reset my DSL settings or something like that! I called ATT and told them my issue and they reset all of the settings from the router to their server. Works fine now. I was just pissed that I had to wait for an hour for someone live to help me! Good luck.

It seems to vary a little, but this sounds somewhat similar. Different parts will load here and there, but usually the pictures are the things that don't load at all, or else really slowly.

The odd thing about it being the provider though is that everything loads fine on my other devices, including my Mini. But maybe that doesn't mean anything?

----------

Any chance Chrome is interfering with Safari - they aren't necessarily compatible (;)) It might be worth a try to uninstall Chrome and see if Safari operates better. Chrome may be working in the background (or possibly some other app that updates frequently), which would slow your internet connection.

Even when it's not launched? And as mentioned, everything else seems to have no shortage of bandwidth....

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

naxir

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2012
More information would probably be useful.

Do the troublesome websites use SSL? If so, there might be an issue with certificates, though I'm not sure what the exact cause could be or a remedy.

Have you tried pinging the websites when you have issues? If not, you should try doing so. This will tell you if there's packet loss or if ping times are very inconsistent. Packet loss is usually an issue between your computer and the ISP, though if your MBP is the only one generating issues then it's likely the wifi in your MBP. Sometimes changing the wifi channel can remove such issues, but it's also possible that your MBP's internal wifi card is having issues.

If websites aren't loading and you try to ping them and it says "destination unreachable" or something similar, it could be the DNS that you're using. You can try changing your DNS settings to see if that provides a speed boost. For example: say you try to connect to randomsite.com and it fails to load or takes an excessive amount of time before beginning to load, it's possible that the issue was caused by the DNS server. I would test using google's public dns server as your primary (8.8.8.8) and see if that resolves any issues.

I'm not a mac owner (yet), so unfortunately I can't provide too many specifics, but that's where I would start.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
Do the troublesome websites use SSL? If so, there might be an issue with certificates, though I'm not sure what the exact cause could be or a remedy.

It happens with just about every site I try to load at one time or another.

I don't know how to ping, but I'll look it up and give that a shot.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

No, the chance of that is zero. Op, check out the DNS settings as suggested by others.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
Crap, it seems like I spoke too soon.

That seemed to help for a while, but now it's running all slow again.

Would it maybe help if I changed the search domain under DNS settings?

iforbes

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Have you tried resetting Safari?

Safari (upper left-hand corner)->Reset Safari...->Check everything (except maybe names/passwords if you don't remember those)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Did you change the DNS servers on your Mac, on your router, or both? Have you reset your router, as recommended?

iforbes

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
If I had to guess I'd say no, as other stuff seems to download fine...

Did you change the DNS servers on your Mac, on your router, or both? Have you reset your router, as recommended?

I was thinking his router is not the problem as he states that "other stuff seems to download fine". First thing I would do would be to reset Safari. Eliminate that as an issue then move on to the next idea.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I was thinking his router is not the problem as he states that "other stuff seems to download fine".
That may be true. The fact that downloads work well, but web pages don't indicates a possible DNS issue. The fact that other devices on the network don't experience the same issue would point to the Mac's DNS settings, rather than the router, but it doesn't hurt to check the router, anyway.
First thing I would do would be to reset Safari. Eliminate that as an issue then move on to the next idea.
The fact that the OP already indicated the problem occurs with Chrome as well as Safari indicates resetting Safari isn't likely to have any effect, as it's not a browser-specific issue. It's always a good first step in troubleshooting, but in this case it's unlikely to help.

iforbes

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
The fact that the OP already indicated the problem occurs with Chrome as well as Safari indicates resetting Safari isn't likely to have any effect, as it's not a browser-specific issue. It's always a good first step in troubleshooting, but in this case it's unlikely to help.

Correct-a-mundo....

hmmm...it's a conundrum for sure.

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
Is this only wifi causing the problem? Or do you get the same problem connected via ethernet?

When I ping google (today) I get times about 1/2 your time.

kkinnevy

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013

I am having the EXACT same problem! This is very frustrating. I was on w/ Apple Support for almost 2 hours yesterday, to no avail. They want me to reinstall my OP system. This issue cropped up about 4 weeks ago. It is slow with Chrome and Safari, and it is slow on a several different routers.
Anyone have an answer for this?
I did switch to Open DNS and this solved the problem temporarily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.