MBPs on amazon

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DCSMAC, May 9, 2008.

1. DCSMAC macrumors member

2. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

condsidering there is no tax on that its a very great deal. the only other way to go is apple refurb store...

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

But the promotions only apply to New item, so it's not like it's any different. Amazon is cheaper too!

5. cagil macrumors newbie

I just bought a macbook pro thursday from amazon it arrived friday and I am using it right now.you should go with amazon because you pay no tax but if you are a student you can use education discount from apple store.It gives you a equal price actually.

6. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I've used amazon for many pricey items, including my imac, mac mini, ipod touch, canon digital camera set up, you name it. Best customer service of any internet dealer I've worked with. Prices are always about the best. And, until the lawmakers fix the loophole, no taxes are collected. Hard to beat it.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There is no loop hole. States cannot charge interstate taxes! That is not a loop hole! You do have to pay taxes on Amazon if you live in states where they have warehouses.

8. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

Truth is, however, that our lawmakers are working on "fixing" this issue. We need to enjoy it while we can. Trust me, it's coming...:(

9. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

What the poster above is referring to is the fact that New York state has introduced a new measure that will force all out-of-state Internet retailers to levy sales tax on New York residents, even if they don't have an operation in NY state.

Amazon.com has filed a lawsuit against New York state, but I'm sure that given the fact that most states are now flat-broke due to sagging home prices, California's budget deficit is now $20 billion, I don't hold much hope that this will not become a universal policy. So enjoy your sales-tax-free status while you can. :cool:

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I guess that sucks considering I'm from New York...

I guess I'll just have to get an blank address in another state and start fowarding my mail... :rolleyes:

As with Amazon prices, I forgot to mention is that they vary prices based on long term demand. I remember buying a new item when it came out; it was like $50. Now it's $55. I don't know why they raised the price; inflation is that not that bad that it would cause old things to go up in price!

11. Edaan macrumors newbie

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Note that most states that collect sales tax also collect a "use tax" on out-of-state purchases that haven't been subjected to sales tax. So you're supposed to pay it no matter what...either the merchant collects sales tax at the time of purchase or you pay use tax on it as part of your state income tax.