MC371LL/A vs. MC373LL/A

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LimitBr8ker, Mar 30, 2015.

1. LimitBr8ker macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm currently in the market for a new computer, preferably a Macbook Pro, that can handle video editing applications such as Adobe Premiere and After Effects, as well as light video gaming (Blizzard related games and League of Legends), and I'd like to make sure I'm making the right choice with the budget that I have.

I know that if one intends to buy a Macbook Pro, you need to have a lot of money behind you, but that's why I've decided to look at older used/refurbished models, particularly the MC371LL/A and MC373LL/A.

One has an i5-520M and the other has an i7-620M, the differences in prices (for what I'm looking at) can be seen at the following links:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003G2ZJTG/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003G2ZKLS...UTF8&colid=P0XWWTB0QMK4&coliid=I348S93WBFY40N

I've contacted the seller Electronics SuperStore and they've stated that the i5 model comes equipped with 8GB of memory, instead of 4GB, as listed on the Amazon page.

Anyways, to cut to the point of all this, I'm looking for opinions before I make a decision and am also taking into consideration the laptop PCs that are available for this price range. Would it be best to go with a PC around these prices or to go with what I have listed? If I do go with what I have listed, which model?

Thanks for any help you guys can lend me.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It'd be best to go with a PC. These 2010 MBPs are hopelessly outdated and are known for GPU failures with the NVIDIA GT 330M.

If you're thinking to buy a refurb Mac, buy them off the Apple refurb store and don't look at anything earlier than a mid-2012 Mac.

3. LimitBr8ker thread starter macrumors newbie

What if I looked at the MD103LL/A models? I've asked a seller when more might be in stock for a good price.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Can you provide a specific year and size instead of giving model numbers? It'd be easier for us and more informative to give a description like mid-2012 15" cMBP, or something like that.

The mid-2012 15" cMBPs (cMBP is non-retina, rMBP is retina) are pretty upgradeable. If you were to get one, I'd recommend getting a 2.6/2.7GHz i7 version for the sake of the 1GB GT 650M GPU. The 512MB 650M in the 2.3GHz variant is somewhat crippled.

But if you can spring for a mid-2012 15" rMBP, that'd be even better.