MC966B/A vs MD226B/A from John Lewis? (UK)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by parajba, Jul 14, 2012.

1. parajba macrumors 6502

2. michelg1970 macrumors regular

michelg1970

3. parajba thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, it's very bizarre!

The MD226B model isn't listed, but according to John Lewis is not a refurbished model, otherwise they would say it on the website...or at least I hope so!

What I don't understand is the price difference. The MD226B seems better spec (1.8 vs 1.7) with everything else equal...

I'm really confused :confused:

4. BlueOcean macrumors member

They're both Sandy Bridge models so I can only assume that it's a typo and the cheaper model is the 1.6GHz i5, more expensive one is the 1.7GHz i7.

5. Chunterer macrumors newbie

6. mark574020 macrumors newbie

These are special buys John Lewis buy these in just for there clearance sale,
    how it normally works John lewis ask there supplier if they can supply something at a certain price just for there sale, this is how i understand it cos i work for them

7. parajba thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all for your replies, but would the 226 a refurb model then? Can't find the 226 on the official model page on apple support website...

8. mark574020 macrumors newbie

No they are special models made up for John Lewis only

9. parajba thread starter macrumors 6502

Seems a very good deal then, almost eBay prices!

10. mark574020 macrumors newbie

They are a very good buy, but i think you will find they will no longer be on sale after midnight tonight, but i could be wrong

11. parajba thread starter macrumors 6502

Just checked, they are still showing as 'special buy'...

12. 3fingerJake macrumors newbie

My two pence.

Well, I just sent a "Special Buy" back to John Lewis. We only noticed after a few hours that the aluminium bezel was warped, causing it to come away from the screen and the black plastic seal that runs around the outside. I could get a finger nail in between the screen/bezel and between the black plastic edge/bezel - so about a millimetre or more. The corner actually pushed in and out and was not glued down properly due to the distorted metal.

Haven't seen anything online about this, just some stuff about the base distortion/warping etc. Nevertheless, once we get a refund it will probably be replaced with a regular macbook, not the Air.

Make of it what you will. It reminded me of 'refurbished' more than anything else, as the magsafe adaptor was slightly scratched as well. Think the build was March '11.

Jon (mac user since G4, Macrumors lurker since '08).