Mcafee, Cox Communications, Webpages not loading... Please Help.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sickandsorry, Sep 3, 2012.

1. sickandsorry macrumors newbie

Ok, I'll try to keep this short. My ISP (Cox Communications) has Mcafee as it's virus protection that you get for free with service. I figured it would just add protection to my already protected MacBook. About a week ago, I was watching Netflix and it stopped working. Now web pages such as, facebook, netflix, apple store, apple update will not load. Come to find out my ISP claims something happened with Mcafee (i.e. hacked). Customer service doesn't know **** and the tech they sent out was even worse, he downloaded google chrome, haha. I've tried all normal fixes myself, on all browsers and I downloaded "ClamXav". Whatever is on my computer isn't being recognized as a virus, malware, trojan, etc... I think it could possibly be a corrupted command that Mcafee might use in it's firewall. Please help, I'll provide as much more info as I can.
    Thank you for your time and consideration.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

What happens if you uninstall McAfee?

If that doesn't work, try creating a new user account on your Mac and see if that works.

3. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I would get rid of all anti-virus software completely and see if that clears things up.

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Whenever I have problems with my ISP I post my problems at dslreports.com
    The techs that look over those forums are generally quite knowledgeable and can move problems up the command chains pretty rapidly. I think you might be able to get more help there than here since it's a forum designed specifically for internet problems.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/coxhsi

5. sickandsorry thread starter macrumors newbie

as soon as i read the alert on my isp's website, I immediately uninstalled Mcafee. But, i don't know if I should have. There is an update for Mcafee but he told me that I definitely should not re install it.

----------

haha thank you, i can't open the webpage on the macbook, i am going to try looking it up on my phone.

----------

I had also googled the question and a girl had a similar situation, i think it was answered on the Apple support forum, could be wrong. But someone told her to create a new location in your Network settings, worked for her but not for me.

----------

I had also googled the question and a girl had a similar situation, i think it was answered on the Apple support forum, could be wrong. But someone told her to create a new location in your Network settings, worked for her but not for me.

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

7. sickandsorry thread starter macrumors newbie

8. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Did you sign through this page?

http://www.dslreports.com/prof/new_basic

They send you a verification code to your email, so double check for that email and make sure it didn't end up in the spam or trash folder.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

I would not let any McAfee product on any of my Macs; anti-virus can easily make your mac less secure.

10. sickandsorry thread starter macrumors newbie

i made a profile and a tech(?) said he was moving it from COXHSI to the APPLE forum. That website on my phone giving me such a hard time but im about to log on and see if anyone took a look.

----------

i know that now. i just figured it would be added protection. I wanted a moat and an army protecting my macbook, haha.

----------

i made a new used profile on my macbok and that didnt relinquish the problem, but i definitely made a new profile on dslreports and im just waiting for some info.

11. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Oh, I jumped the gun on the account thing - I thought you were talking about the forum.
    That's strange that they moved it over to the Apple side - a quick google search shows this is a problem for windows users as well.

What is listed in the TCP/IP tab and the DNS tab in the advanced Network Settings for your network?
    Also do you have the OS firewall turned on (System Prefs>Security>Firewall tab)? Do you have anything checked/selected under the advanced menu?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I recommend you completely uninstall McAfee, using the instructions in the following link. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

For information about Macs and malware, read the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ