McAfee on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Prohybe, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Prohybe macrumors member

I recently acquired ClamXav, is it enough to protect my computer or do i need some program like McAfee, because i'm about to transfer some videos from my HP to my macbook and i want to be sure. Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

Not even ClamXav is needed to protect you from non-existant Mac OS X viruses or the few malware that is out there.
    Especially with videos. This is not Windows XP.

There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.
    Also know, that the term "virus" is often used to refer to other kinds of malware, but there are differences, which you can find out by reading the following:

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios

3. The Economist macrumors 6502

The Economist

Avoid everything. Have common sense, you are not the 100th visitor and you did not win a prize. Don't download free smileys, they look stupid anyway. Etc.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Common sense and some care in what software you install is enough to protect your Mac from malware. You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps. Read the link that simsaladimbamba posted.