Mcafee Wants me to Switch.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nyprospect, Nov 2, 2007.

1. nyprospect macrumors 6502

This is a reminder that your McAfee security protection will expire soon. If you do not renew or upgrade your McAfee service, you and your PC will be vulnerable to all of the latest online threats.
    This is part of an email i got 3 days ago.I have 45 days to re-up with them or i could purchase a mac soon.Now.I dont do heavy stuff.I surf i down load er um stuff and music email etc.So i was thinking New macbook(i dont need portability though)I wont touch the Imacs aluminum.Or a mini.Hmm what do you guys think?

2. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

It depends. For every camp (e.g., Macbook) there is another camp (e.g., Mac Pro, Mac Mini) who will have differing opinions.

If I may ask, why are you against the iMac? Dollar for dollar you are probably getting the best deal on a Mac desktop system for what you will use it for. If you just don't like the aluminum, I suggest maybe checking Apple's online refurb store which will more than likely have the previous generation iMac's.

What you need to do is really research your options. If you are just going to utilize the machine for internet and word processing, then don't leave PC"s out of the mix either. Dell business systems will do the internet/word processing just fine and will probably cost less then a new iMac, Macbook or Mac Mini. Vista isn't the devil straight from the bowels of hell some Mac users make it out to be but it does have its drawbacks for everyday users (e.g., the need for antivirus software).

From my perspective, I really enjoy my Mac since switching from a PC over a year ago. They are easier to use, have very few compatibility issues with items like printers and have fewer security issues such as viruses.

Just do your homework, ask questions and make an informed decision.

3. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

With the recent update and release of leopard there has never been a better time to get a macbook. The santa rosa/x3100/leopard is a good deal for the price. Nice thread title.

4. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats the thing i did think about going dell but unless dell will magically run leopard im not going to go dell.I have done research ,lots.Some imac owners are experiencing freezing and other annoying issues.I could get a core duo 2 pc but i cant stand the virus updates and spyware software i have to install.The macbook does look pretty good right now.Thanks guys.

5. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Btw the imac issues are all software based. I thin that they've released a patch today to fix the graphics issues and based upon tiger i expect that 10.5.1 should be out by mid nov.

6. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I was going to get a MacBook Pro, but I got so much more bang for my buck going with the iMac. A MBP comparable to my iMac would've costed $3,500 so yea, I saved about $1,400 and got the iMac. I think with what you'll be using it for the MacBook will be fine. And it being a notebook you'll have the added bonus of carrying it everywhere with you, because once you use Mac OS X you want want to use anything else!

7. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

I would love the new imac but i just dont want to have to keep returning it because of a logic board issue or defective card.How is your imac behaving?

8. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

With all computers no matter what brand there is the risk of a component failure. It does suck that you may have to send it in for warranty work but hey, it could come As-Is and if the logic board fries you need to go out and buy a new machine.

Generally on these boards when one seeks input about a certain model, you will probably hear more about problems then the lack of them. I don't go on everyday posting threads requesting input on matters such as "My iMac is working great...no problems here!"

I have had my iMac since Sept of last year and no issues so far FYI.

9. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

That email sounds like a letter you'd get from the mob; pay up now or your "protection' will expire...

10. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol.I know i felt more threatened than reminded.It's out here for a pc user.

11. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

I posted this in another thread, so don't flame me.

Reading and paying too much attention to sites like MacRumors will really change your prospective on products.

By reading all the complaining here you would think that every iMac freezes every five minutes and the screens will horribly mangle every thing they display.

I know 13 people that have the new Aluminum iMac (including my mom and my sister). None of these iMacs have ever locked up, and all of the displays are absolutely gorgeous.

The very, very vocal and miniscule minority has done a good job at bashing a wonderful computer!

edit: Also if the the problem was as huge as made out here (at MacRumors) you would not have the iMac winning awards with PC magazines, and have the wonderful reviews with publications that are geared towards Windows:

http://www.geek.com/imac-claims-pc-mag-editors-choice-award/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2170378,00.asp

If it was a huge problem, the Apple haters would be all over it!