MCBr vs MCB(non retina)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nebbie, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Nebbie macrumors newbie

I was sure to buy the non retina with the high resoltion antiglare model from 2012 model but some of my friend make me confused, some one told me to take the non retina some one to take the last retina the top model with dedicate gpu...in your opinion what's the best thing to do ? there are a lot of peromance difference?
    keep in mind that between this 2 model ther's a difference about 1359$
    what will u buy and why ?
    thanks to all

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

You're asking if you're better off buying a pickup truck or a lawn mower, without telling us what you intend to do with either.

More details, please.

3. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Unless you really need the power, and have the disposable income, I can't recommend paying that much more.

I do gaming and media editing frequently so having dedicated graphics and extra power is really helpful, plus the screen. If it was a casual computer? **** I'd just have a MBA.

4. Nebbie, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013

Nebbie thread starter macrumors newbie

why are u saying that man ? are 2 computer so different ?in both of case i'll buy with the dedicate gpu...
    i supposed that was pretty much the same this 2 machine

I'm a universitary student and the main work i'll do with the mac is photography and video, i'm not a professionist and i do not take money but i want take the best machine cause i don't change computer a lot, maybe after 5-6 years

anyway i forgot to say that in the non retina i'll take off the optical driver and i put the ssd and upgrade to 16 gb of ram

i heard that the difference of performance is not so noticeable; are quite the same performance, but the screeen some one told me that the retina is better and other that the high resolution antiglare wuold be better, on the non retina i've the ethernet, the firwire the input and output for the audio, instead the non retina is lighter and the battery last one hour more

so u're saying the the non retina model would be the right choice ?

5. Nebbie thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Nebbie thread starter macrumors newbie

?

7. mac8867 macrumors 6502

Rule of thumb when you are attempting to buy a machine to last for many many years, buy as strong a machine as you can afford.

From what you have said here, you are not what would be considered a "power user" : Lot's of graphics editing, or heavy gaming, or heavy engineering. My recommendation to you is:

a) Buy the new MBP (non retina), don't invest in extra memory or ssd until you feel you need it. At a minimum, that is an extra 300-400 dollars. (assuming 8 GB ram and 256 GB ssd)

b) If you really want the lightweightness of the rMBP, look to the used market for a 2012. There are great deals because of the recent refresh by apple.

8. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Doing that alone will save you big $$$ with the cMBP, because you have to pay for all of that upfront with the rMBP. You can quadruple the MAX memory available in the rMBP, by swapping out the optical drive and maxing out both storage spaces.

I'd go with the classic, because it's more easily user maintainable, and can be upgraded as newer tech comes out. Performance wise, once you swap out the original HDD with an SSD, is negligible, unless you are a power user. And in that case, getting the max CPU of the cMBP would put you ahead of the lesser CPUs of the rMBP anyway.

9. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

In your position, I would go with non-retina. It does not seem like the extra cost is worth it if you're a student and don't have a high income, plus the non-retina offers you more flexibility if your needs change.

10. scbond macrumors 6502

Have you asked yourself if those that recommended the rMBP to you actually need one or whether they just have more money than sense? The vast majority of rMBP users don't need the screen but felt like they did. Same thing happens with the Mac Pro...people that have the money but don't need it just go right out and get it and then come onto forums like this one and ask others what they should use it for.

11. Nebbie thread starter macrumors newbie

well as i actually saiyd i need a very performance machine, that can last me for several years, i do a lot of photo editing and video editing, but i not get money form that, hope so in the future, but not gaming , the problem is not the money the problem is it worth it the difference of the money ? it's a big difference about 1200$... the screen somebody told me that the non retina hig resolution antiglare is bettere the color accuracy and in the gamut than the retina, and the processor isn't relly different performance between the 2 model, and about the gpu dedicate the told me that's not a very big difference it's so ? or no i don't need a lighter or smaller just a great machine that that does not make me feel the lack of a workstation

what u mean with your last phrase ?
    that the cpu of the non retina is similar performance as the retina model ?

yeah i'm a student and i dont get money from the "job" it's more likely a huge hobby that i hope will became a work
    well as i actually saiyd i need a very performance machine, that can last me for several years, i do a lot of photo editing and video editing, but not gaming .

i like your opinion really, i'm not a fan boy that would like to nuy a mac and go everywhere and say to all hey see my new RETINA macbook pro doesn't look awesome ? i don't nedd it at all

i need a very perforamet machine that last several years, i do a lot of photo editing and video editing, but i not get money form that, hope so in the future, but not gaming , the problem is not the money the problem is it worth it the difference of the money ? it's a big difference about 1200$... the screen sombody told me that the non retina hig resolution antiglare is better the color accuracy and in the gamut than the retina, and the processor isn't really different performance between the 2 model, and about the gpu dedicate the told me that's not a very big difference it's so ? or no i don't need a lighter or smaller just a great machine that that does not make me feel the lack of a workstation

12. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

TBH "need" is a difficult term to quantify. What is "need" with these devices? What do any of us truly "need"? I could get away with working on a $300 laptop, but it would unpleasant and eye-straining, and I wouldn't be able to play games, but then again I don't NEED to play games. If the word "gaming" comes up, it's automatically not a "need", is it?

No one "needs" a retina display, it just makes life much easier especially if you have to look at small text. No one "needs" a solid state drive, but if makes life easier with start-up times and data transferring. It's all about balancing what you WANT out of a machine with how much you're WILLING to spend.

If that means you want something shiny and expensive, the computer equivalent of a pair of Gucci shoes, then so be it. If it means pure utilitarian, also good. Need comes down to varying degrees of want.

13. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

The CPU of the 2012 cMBP is the same as the 2012/early2013 rMBP. But the latest rMBP revision is the next generation CPU(Haswell). I was only pointing out that getting a higher clock speed of the cMBP refub could equal out to the lower clock speeds of the most recently updated rMBP. Of course, you lose in battery life. So take that into consideration.