Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Just saw an ad on TV for Maccas talking about how they don't use preservatives in their meat.

Starts off with some kids talking to a Maccas rep about how their friends said that Maccas use preservatives in their meat, the rep takes them through the process of mincing and snap-freezing the beef. No preservatives in the process.

It finishes with the kids saying "so you DON'T use any preservatives" and the Maccas rep says "Nope" then straight to camera "Looks like your friends are full of it."

I was cacking myself laughing - it sounds like Maccas are annoyed they're losing business and just decided to do a grumpy ad to fight back.

What do you reckon?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
They've had some "shopping list" print ads here, "we use the same ingredients you do". They're obviously trying to make themselves not look as evil as they're made out to be.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I think they're getting a little desperate... after a few years of Jamie Oliver, Super Size Me et al. the message is getting through to parents that this stuff is fairly unhealthy.

Pester power won't work anymore... and attempting to position a possible teenage consumer as a rebel against peer pressure is straight out of the SanDisk 'sheep iPod' campaign marketing bible.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Blue Velvet said:
I think they're getting a little desperate... after a few years of Jamie Oliver, Super Size Me et al. the message is getting through to parents that this stuff is fairly unhealthy.

Ad quote: "Looks like your friends are full of it."

Real message: "Your friends are full of ... clogged arteries."

jonparadise

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2005
London, UK
Sod the preservatives.

Maccas seem to have forgotten the force-fed, antibiotic and steroid pumped 'cattle' they grind down stick in their burgers to start with.

Makes preservatives seem quite harmless.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
They must be getting desperate. We keep on getting vouchers shoved through our front doors and "We Are Your Best Friend" style pamphlets around here.

I'm not complaining. I'll use the vouchers to buy stuff from there when I'm desperate. I don't think I'd ever pay full whack for a McDonalds meal. I certainly wouldn't go there if I had a chippy to go to instead.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
I can't eat there. It makes me literally nauseous.

I'd be wary of any establishment who refers to their more frequent customers as "heavy users". Welcome to McCrack may I take your order?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'm sorry, but their soft serve cones must be made with some pig fat. I don't care what they say. :p

Everything in the bloody country is so expensive, and yet their soft serve cones are only $0.30 AUD in some places. :confused: An expensive cone would cost AUD $0.50 at a McDonalds, and that's very rare. $0.40 Aussie dollars is more like it.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
Chundles said:
Just saw an ad on TV for Maccas talking about how they don't use preservatives in their meat.

Starts off with some kids talking to a Maccas rep about how their friends said that Maccas use preservatives in their meat, the rep takes them through the process of mincing and snap-freezing the beef. No preservatives in the process.

It finishes with the kids saying "so you DON'T use any preservatives" and the Maccas rep says "Nope" then straight to camera "Looks like your friends are full of it."

I was cacking myself laughing - it sounds like Maccas are annoyed they're losing business and just decided to do a grumpy ad to fight back.

What do you reckon?

I must've said this probably 4 or 5 times in various threads, but if you haven't read it, you simply must read Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation. A lot of things you should know about McDonald's lurk in those pages...

Interesting excerpt (not about McDonald's) here.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Well anything is better than the "I'm loving it" easy target. "I'm eating s**t", "I'm losing it" etc...

Either way round I don't care. Haven't been to Macdonalds since... a bloody long time. years now. Boots food hasn't had preservatives or rubbish in for years now, and it's all "superfood" tomatoes and that. absolutely fantastic.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
McDonlad's has gone down hill in taste as they've taken the salt, and fat out of the meals, and started using holding ovens.

Nothing that a tub of lard for the fries, and some salt and pepper on the freshly cooked burgers won't cure -- you know the actual "natural" flavorings and spices.

Plus adding sugar back to the colas would seriously make the meals taste better.

Funny thing is people are getting fatter than ever on food that tastes worse than it ever. Almost seems like people enjoy the taste of poo. :(

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Sesshi said:
It's funny to see people in McDonalds eating salads when there's a Pret a Manger opposite :D

Yea it's almost as hilarious as Pret a Mangers prices.

or am I confusing that with Eat?

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
raggedjimmi said:
Yea it's almost as hilarious as Pret a Mangers prices.

Hahaha... you're actually right about that. But it's across the board. Friends of mine coming from abroad stare in open astonishment at some of the London luncheries' prices. "I could get an evening meal for the same as that sandwich!" is something I hear often. Not helped by the strong pound of course.

The irony though is that McD's salads and their fake deli sandwiches are nearly as expensive as the 'real thing'.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Blue Velvet said:
after a few years of Jamie Oliver

He's such a tit... and obviously doesn't see the irony in preaching about healthy food, whilst being the owner of a double chin and a somewhat generous gut himself.

Sesshi said:
It's funny to see people in McDonalds eating salads when there's a Pret a Manger opposite

It's even more funny when probably 95% of the people that eat in a Pret A Manger don't realise they're one and the same.

A bit like those anti-capitalist fools that don't see the irony in wearing a pair of Nike's whilst torching a McDonalds.

raggedjimmi said:

But EAT's quality of food is second to none, if you want a cheap, mass-produced (relatively) tasteless sarnie, you can buy from somewhere like Boot's, or you can go to EAT and have a sarnie made to order. Properly fresh. ;)

Alternatively... just buy the ingredients at weekends and have a packed lunch like I do. Saving yourself a fortune in the process. :D

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
Sesshi said:
Hahaha... you're actually right about that. But it's across the board. Friends of mine coming from abroad stare in open astonishment at some of the London luncheries' prices. "I could get an evening meal for the same as that sandwich!" is something I hear often. Not helped by the strong pound of course.

The irony though is that McD's salads and their fake deli sandwiches are nearly as expensive as the 'real thing'.

Yes, but if you're stupid enough to buy sandwiches from Pret/Starbucks/Cafe Nero/'generic pseudo-European lunch bar' then you don't deserve money. :rolleyes:

In my head I have a comprehensive list of every sandwich shop or cafe in central London where you can get a a decent lunch for under £3. In fact, I discovered a new one in Chinatown yesterday which has now become my favourite place in London - loads of authentic Chinese cakes and pastries for just 60-80p. Mmmmmmm....I wanna go now :(

Either that or just head for Gregg's :D

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
iGav said:
He's such a tit... and obviously doesn't see the irony in preaching about healthy food, whilst being the owner of a double chin and a somewhat generous gut himself.

Congratulations on just missing the point of the whole two series.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
FleurDuMal said:
Congratulations on just missing the point of the whole two series.

I've got far better things to do with my time than boost that tits ratings. ;)

All that proper food crap, whilst stuffing his double chin laden gob (which never shuts incidently) with beers and curry, what an example to children around the country.

Yep... a tit. And judging by his double chin, and generous waistline. A bloody big tit at that.

Applespider

macrumors G4
iGav said:
But EAT's quality of food is second to none, if you want a cheap, mass-produced (relatively) tasteless sarnie, you can buy from somewhere like Boot's, or you can go to EAT and have a sarnie made to order. Properly fresh. ;)

Prefer Pret over EAT if I have to choose. Pret's greenery tastes better and EAT appear to have no concept of what constitutes a ripe avocado as opposed to a hard, tasteless one. EAT's soup is much better though ;)

While I'll believe that McD's are mincing and fast-freezing, I'm not so sure I believe it's all prime cuts of beef ;) Cheap, fatty cuts perhaps...

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Applespider said:
Prefer Pret over EAT if I have to choose. Pret's greenery tastes better and EAT appear to have no concept of what constitutes a ripe avocado as opposed to a hard, tasteless one. EAT's soup is much better though ;)

I think I'll have to make you one of my packed lunches sometime then. ;)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
FleurDuMal said:
Either that or just head for Gregg's :D

I got spoilt by my local bakery. They used to (the original folk have since retired) make the utmost incredible meat and potato pies. Soft pastry, slight peppery aftertaste and slightly gummy innards. They were incredible. I remember going to Greggs the first time I was properly in the city and urgh, the thing that sticks in my mind were these horrible mini cubes of "filling". Never been back since.

Jamie Oliver... I noticed he's put a few pounds on. Probably doesn't exercise enough. unless slaughtering sheep count.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
As anyone who has read the interesting Fast Food Nation will know, the beef McDs use has never been a problem. McDs have such a hold over the cattlers/slaughterers that they can (and do) demand the best meat. Best as in able to pass all regulations and inspections. The worst thing they serve is the chicken nuggets. It's too late in the evening to dig out the facts now, but suffice to say the nuggets are full of crap that binds them together. If I remember correctly, there's more fat in a chicken (Mc)Nugget than a burger. The buns are pretty bad, too. Still, nice for a treat with the children sometimes.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
I aint been to McDonalds in years (seriosuly, no joke). Havnt been since about 1999. Its disgusting. The butchers in Stoksley is absolutley lovley. 100% meat everywhere it should be (ie, burgers, sausages, ect). Havn't had better sausages yet :D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.