MCE Blu Ray Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by scottydawg, Sep 28, 2008.

1. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I purchased a Sony SR12 HiDef camcorder this week and as I started thinking about editing my footage I realized I will need to burn it to something.
    Has anyone tried a MCE Blu Ray drive or any other one for a Mac Pro?
    I have a Early 2008 with two Super Drives so I will have to pull one out and replace it. Any advice will be appreciated!

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Regardless of drives you'll choose to install, the current state of MacOSX doesn't support Blu-Ray Burning or Movie playback. You'll have to invest in a couple of third-party application.

If you want to edit movies and publish them on to Blu-Ray you'll need Final Cut Pro to prepare the files and Adobe Encore CS3 (which ONLY comes with Premiere)... Then Toast 9 Titanium to actually burn the files.

3. scottydawg thread starter macrumors 6502

scottydawg

Thanks for the answer, I do have Toast and Final Cut Express. Excuse my ignorance but will I need Encore to set up the DVD for burning to Toast? I can get Premiere Pro at a very reasonable price from my local college, would it be better to edit with Premiere and send to Encore for setting up the Blu Ray for burning?

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I don't believe FCE has the necessary codecs to encode for blu-ray. I'm assuming you wanna playback on standalone boxes. You'll have to research in to Premiere. CS4 is coming... Might be better to wait?

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Or if OP is authoring his own unencrypted discs, he can use Plex, which is free.

Correct - FCE cannot encode to m2ts containers, which are needed for Blu-Ray playback, unless the Blu-Ray drive supports other containers.

6. scottydawg thread starter macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I will be waiting for CS4 (somewhat patiently), it looks like it will have some nice improvments based on the videos I have seen on the Adobe website (could just be hype) and I use Photoshop so it will be my path to upgrade.

Cave Man I never had heard Plex and it took a couple of searchs on Google to find but now that I have found it I am going to check it out. For others you can see it here: http://www.plexapp.com/

I sure find it interesting that Apple Final Cut Express (and FCP) support AVCHD but there is no path to output your videos in HD.

7. scottydawg thread starter macrumors 6502

scottydawg

After doing some reading I did learn something tonight. I can edit HD footage in FCE and output up to 30 minutes of HD video on a standard DVD using Toast with the $20 Blu Ray/HD plug in. If you have a Blu Ray player like the PS3 it will play in full HD!

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

For short clips maybe it'll be fine but you'll be limited to about 4Gb of movie footages/sound/media. Your PS3 isn't reading the disc as a actual BR by the way... It's just reading the HD data and playing it. The whole idea of BD-R is to store huge amounts of raw, uncompressed data on a single disc, approximately 25/50/100Gb (depending on the disc) in a continuous stream.