MCE OptiBay Install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ando27, Feb 19, 2012.

1. ando27 macrumors member

The weirdest thing happened during my MCE OptiBay install, and so far I can't find reports of it happening to others.

When I was taking the two pieces off the optical drive (the cable and then small metal piece with the screws) everything was going fine, but when I tried to put the small metal piece on to the optibay enclosure, they just wouldn't fit. In fact, it seems like there are no screw holes there at all, just small little holes that nothing I had fit in to.

The rest of the install went fine and it is currently running smoothly inside my MBP (sans the small metal piece), but I'd like to have it complete. Any ideas what happened, or has this happened to anyone else? It'd be a pain to have to get a new one from MCE and redo the install.

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I assume you're referring to the little black plastic piece on the OptiBay. I just forced the screws in and they stuck.

3. ando27 thread starter macrumors member

My piece wasn't black. It's a metal piece (silver) that has two screws that go in to it to connect it to the optical drive/OptiBay and then it comes out to a small round piece that gets screwed in to another thing to help hold it in place. Not sure how to explain it much better, but i couldn't force the screws in here at all.

4. claythrow macrumors newbie

I know what you are talking about

Just go to the hardware store and get a couple smaller screws. Or what I did was just drill the hole a bit bigger and tap it for the screws that were on the optical drive, but you would need a tap and dye set.

Overall I wasn't impressed with the quality of the optibay, not sure if they just forgot to include different screws or what.

5. ando27 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah might have to do that. I think I will contact MCE to give them a piece of my mind first. Thanks!